Vol 3. Chapter 10: Sports Festival [Part 2/4]

[6th October]

[Ayanokoji Pov]

"Did Class B just try to sabotage us?" Yukimura, who was next to me, asked.

"I don't know. But I believe it was just an accident. It's unfortunate, but Kurushima was still able to get the 3rd Place despite that." 

"He's certainly impressive, isn't he?" Ryuji Kanzaki, approached us two.

Yukimura nodded. "I don't think there's anyone better than him to lead the class. We all respect him. He always has an ear to us, and listens to our troubles. I'm certainly relieved that Kurushima-kun isn't our opponent."

"I know. I've heard in the past quite a lot of him."

"You know each other?" Yukimura asked. 

I attentively listened. Perhaps, I could get to know a bit more about Kurushima Kaoru. He was one of the students who were still a complete mystery to me.

In particular, I'm curious why he was allocated into Class D originally? 

Was it because the school board wanted to make the classes more equal? 

The original Class A had Sakayanagi, Class B had Ichinose, Class C Ryūen, and Class D has Kurushima. If he were placed at the beginning within Class A, could Horikita and the other's defeat him?

I'm not quite sure, actually. 

But I must say, I'm very curious about him. 

Although we're literal neighbors, we aren't talking quite often with each other. We're greeting each other, but that's it. Sometimes we do talk, but that's it, then. 

In the past, it used to be different. But then again, human's change overtime. I might as well might not be his ideal version of a friend. But then again, he might also suspect me lately.
Unlike many other's, Horikita naturally wasn't able to persuade him into believing she was responsible for the Island Exam. So I must be someone quite suspicious, since he probably cannot explain why I'm holding back. 

"It's one-sided. I heard a lot of him in the past from my father. He's someone to whom I was used to being compared a lot."

Kanzaki didn't seem to be quite comfortable about this topic.

"Kanzaki, is something wrong?"

"No, not at all. I had just remembered something. That aside, I wish you good luck, Ayanokoji. Let's have a fair race."

"Sure." 

Yukimura headed back, since he still had time until he was supposed to run. He was in the seventh group, while I was in the fourth.

The last person from the side came, between me and Kanzaki, so our conversation naturally ended there. There wasn't anything to talk about, but I could tell that he was careful around me.
Immediately, the 'Pang' sound could be heard, and everyone began to sprint. I was running in the same pace before, at the 100-meter race, and was able to get in this group the 3rd Place.  

In comparison to the prior race where I achieved the 5th place, this definitely is progress. But I do wonder...

If I were to run seriously, could I beat his time currently? 

In this state?

In the past I wouldn't have even contemplated about that, since my immediate answer would be yes, but it's been more than one and a half year's now since I was the last time in the White Room. 

When I was with Matsuo, the intensity of my training was by far lower than what I did in the White Room. Currently, I'm just trying on maintaining my physique, so I might just get slightly under his time.