Vol. 2. Chapter 11: Zodiac Exam [3/4] - Poker

[Kurushima Pov]

[12th August, 12.56]

Arriving right in front of the dragon groups room, I held the doorknob and entered the room, seeing everyone aside from me there.

Instantly, all the attention was focused on me. Ryūen was having both of his feet on the table while looking at his phone, Katsuragi was intensely looking at every person present here for the identification of the VIP, Kanzaki was talking with his classmates, likewise with Hirata and Kushida who talked with each other. As for Horikita, she was reading a book.

But the moment I entered, all of them were looking at me.

"Ah, it seems like I'm just like yesterday, the last one to arrive. I'm sorry, I was reading quite an interesting book, so I kind of forgot the time," I said, walking to my seat, the moderator seat that was handed to me yesterday by the group.

I didn't mind it in all honesty, though. I was only a bit surprised that everyone agreed, even Ryūen himself and his class.

But I suppose that makes it easier to introduce my dear Poker Game, I wanted to introduce today to get everybody to know each other better.

And what could be better than a small Poker Game?

Let's get ready to lie again.

But I'm wondering, can I ever be able to trust someone, aside from Aoki?

I wonder whether that will ever be possible? 

Can I dissolve that issue of mine through the attendance of this school?

Perhaps—In fact by attending this school, I might truly ever be able to trust somebody else. This is also the very first time I have been attending a school.

So perhaps I can trust people like Hiyori and Sūdo, with whom I am lately spending much time.

I really hope so, but in the end, I don't think that's going to be the case.

That aside, I saw an unexpected person—No, it was the very own person I expected to speak up.

"Reading a book, heh? You seem to be just like her. Instead of enjoying this whole luxury presented on the cruise ship, you rather read. Kurushima, you keep on surprising me," said Ryūen, looking at me fiercely.

"Ahahaha, is that so? Well, what can I say, I'm just doing the things I like. Reading and playing chess happen to be the hobbies I particularly like."

"Well, I don't care either way. Just let's start with this meeting," exclaimed Ryūen, probably dissatisfied with my answer.

"Ahem, could I please get all of your attention? To learn each of us better, I thought of how we play a small game? So I thought of Poker and brought it with me for today's meeting. Are you interested in any chance?" I asked.

"I think it's a great idea, Kurushima-kun, for getting us known each other better," commented Hirata, with enthusiasm.

"Likewise, I agree with Hirata-kun," said Kushida, with a fake smile.

"I guess it doesn't damage if we get to know each other," exclaimed Horikita, slightly looking at me with a nod.

"Hmm, I also think it wouldn't be too bad if we were to play Poker," said Kanzaki, speaking up for him and his class members, after having it discussed with them.

"Kukuku, Poker, huh? How about we make that boring game a bit more interesting. The winner gets 140.000 private points," said Ryūen.

"Ryūen-kun, I don't think we should do that. Making the game competitive ruins the whole idea of a friendly game wherein we get to know each other better," I said.