Vol. 4 Chapter 7: Changing Classes?

[23rd October]

[Hiyori Pov]

As the class concluded, I felt how my mind was taken aback, sometimes. I was usually never so often immersed in my thoughts, but strangely, today was different.

A certain person in the class noticed this too, as he was one of the few people left who were still present, while everybody else already had left.

"Shiina-san, is everything fine...?" Ishizaki-kun, someone with whom I usually would never speak much, asked.

But ever since the Island Exam, our understanding of each other has grown. Not with simply just him, but with Ryūen-kun, Ibuki-san, Kaneda-kun or Albert-kun in general, too.

The mystery of X, and foremost Y, connected all of us, together.

Currently, no one of us had any idea about these mysterious Existences, but one thing was for certain, they were indeed, very dangerous. It was a mystery I was lately becoming very immersed with, if I did not spend my time with Kaoru.

He's also aware of Y, apparently, through Horikita-san, but like me, he also seems to have no conclusive clues, aside from them being in Ichinose's Class.

Among them, Kanzaki-kun seems to stand out the most, but I'm not quite sure. Was it his tactic to use reverse psychology on us, perhaps...?

But what could he gain from that, then...?

I noticed myself thinking of these questions very often, since recently.

Despite my rather passive attitude regarding the class competitions, I always liked to unveil mysteries, since my early childhood on.

Kaoru, was, in that regard, the same as me.

One of the things I like the most is to discuss with him various kinds of mystery books, listen to his opinion, and in general, I simply want to spend time with him.

Today, I won't be able too, unfortunately, but we spent the last three days, completely together, very happily.

Especially his Birthday on the 20th, which he also shares with Ryūen-kun, what might seem quite strange, but he's from the Kansai Region, while I know from Ryūen-kun that he's from Tokyo, the Kanto Region.

It's not very uncommon, after all.

But... I believe Kaoru, he's the only person in our year from the Kansai Region, better said Kyoto, is he not...?

As for my reason to believe this, it's because Kaoru uses to be the only one I can see to be celebrating various kinds of festivals, like yesterday, where the Jidai-Matsuri is being celebrated in Kyoto.

To celebrate the Festival, Kaoru played flute. There was more to the Festival, but since we're in this school, he's unable to celebrate it accordingly.

So he played flute, to celebrate the festival, somehow, at least, since it's played there, too.

But the melody he was playing on the flute was so beautiful, a melody I never have heard in my entire life before, but just by listening, I felt very comfortable, already.

Even now, just remembering it, makes me feel very comfortable.

Was it because Kaoru was present and was the one who was playing it?

I remember that I never felt like this, whenever I heard flute, from someone else.

But strangely, I did not care, to know about that answer. I felt like these kinds of thoughts were unnecessarily, because of my tendency, to overthink, very often.