Vol 3. Chapter 11: Sports Festival [Part 3/4]

[6th October]

[Kurushima Pov]

Once I arrived at the nurse office, near the Sports Tent, Hiyori being in my arms, I put her on the bed. "Please take care of her."

The school nurse nodded. 

"Kaoru, don't worry. I'm not the one who twisted my ankle. I'm fine. I got a bit bruised, but that's it. There's nothing to worry about."

"No, you should rest. You have to recover."

She slightly giggled. "Says the right person. Aren't you all bruised up, currently? I don't think you should be the one to tell me that."

"I can't argue against that, can I? But I don't think anyone would take it against you if you were to rest a bit. If they do, I'll convince them otherwise."

"How exactly do you want to do that, Kaoru?" A bit amused, she asks me that question. 

"Who knows?"

She pouted, unsatisfied with my answer. 

"Okay, okay, I'll try on using my charm. Until now, it has never failed me."

She shakes her head. "I don't like that idea, Kaoru."

"Are you perhaps jealous, Hiyori?" I asked her a bit teasingly.

Out of embarrassment, she slightly nods her head. She's a bit too honest. I was just teasing her a bit, actually. 

"But don't worry, you're the only girl I laid eyes on. I can't imagine myself being together with someone else, aside from you." 

A bit embarrassed, Hiyori nods her head. "Me neither. I'm really happy that we're together, Kaoru."

"Likewise. It's been a long time, since I've been so happy. You're someone, my mother always mentioned finding. I never really believed her back then. Now I do. It's reassuring, honestly."
"But anyway, I should let you rest for a while. I'll come back later."  

"You don't really have to. You must be quite busy during the Sports Festival."

"Don't worry. I have a decent overview of my time."

A bit embarrassed, she nods her head. "If you say so."

Leaving the tent, I saw Class C's leader, Ryūen Kakeru.

"Ryūen."

"Kurushima."

"How is she?"

"Good. It's not something you'd particularly care about, right? After all, it's quite uncommon to see an accident happen in a three-legged race. It's almost as if it's done—intentionally."

I put an emphasis on the last part of my sentence. 

"I might have provided her with your competitions, but I wouldn't even think of giving hers, Kurushima. As someone who represents me in case of emergency, Hiyori is a very valuable asset in my class."

"I know. I wasn't hinting anything towards that. I'm just saying something else."

He couldn't help but laugh. "Ahahaha, a traitor? In my class? Who would be foolish enough to do something like that."

"Who knows?" 

"Anyway, I'd like that you prevent Hiyori from participating further in any more competitions. Although your class affairs really don't bother me much, if Hiyori gets involved, I'll also get involved. If she's targeting her to crush me, I'll have to decline that. She won't injure her. I won't let that happen."