*CoS 4*

McGonagall stands before the class. Resting on the desk in front of each student, is a different animal.

"Today, we will be turning animals into water goblets." She taps the bird in front of her, three times, with the tip of her wand. It transfigures into a beautiful crystal water goblet. "Now, who would like to go first Mr. Weasley?" Ron nods. He taps his rat, Scabbers, who turns into a goblet with a tail. "You must replace that wand, Mr. Weasley."

"Why didn't you write home and tell us your wand was broken" Molly asks her son.

"I mean it's a really good thing I didn't" Everyone looks at him confused "You'll all find out soon"

Ron nods sheepishly and looks at his broken wand. McGonagall sees Hermione's raised hand. Her untouched animal.

"Yes, Miss Granger?"

"Professor, I was wondering if you could tell us about the Chamber of Secrets?" A hush falls over the class.

"My subject is Transfiguration, Miss Granger." 

"Yes, Professor. But there seems to be very little written about the Chamber of Secrets. For those of us with a personal interest in the subject, that is disturbing." Malfoy regards Hermione with chilly amusement. McGonagall considers Hermione's question for a long moment, then nods.

"She's going to tell you" Sirius says looking at McGonagall shocked.

"Very well. You all know, of course, that Hogwarts was founded over a thousand years ago by the four greatest witches and wizards of the age. Godric Gryffindor, Helga Hufflepuff, Rowena Ravenclaw, and Salazar Slytherin. Three of the founders co-existed quite harmoniously. One did not."

"Three guesses who?" Ron mutters.

"Salazar Slytherin wished to be more selective about the students admitted to Hogwarts. He believed that magical learning should be kept within all-magic families. In other words, purebloods. Unable to sway the others, he decided to leave the school. According to legend, Slytherin had built a hidden chamber in this castle, known as the Chamber of Secrets. Shortly before departing, he sealed it until that time when his own true heir returned to the school. The heir alone would be able to open the Chamber of Secrets and unleash the horror within, and by so doing, purge the school of all those who, in Slytherin's view, were unworthy to study magic."

"Muggle-borns."

"Yes. Naturally, the school has been searched many times for such a chamber. It has never been found.

"Professor, what exactly does legend tell us lies within the Chamber?"

"The Chamber is said to be home to something which the heir of Slytherin alone can control. It is said to be
home to a monster." Ron's eyes shift. Malfoy sits calmly, smiling.

"Is it real Professor" One of the Gryffindors ask. None of the teachers answer.

Harry, Hermione, and Ron thread their way through the teeming corridor. Up ahead, Malfoy walks with Crabbe and Goyle.