*CoS 9*

Thinking, Harry ducks into an alcove, puts his hand over his mouth and waits, desperate to remain still and silent. The snake slides heavily by, then slows and turns back. The snake's head weaves inside, only inches from Harry's face. Harry trembles as the snake's head cocks to the side, then finally withdraws. Harry dashes back into the main chamber. Ginny looks frighteningly pale. Riddle grins cruelly, almost solid now.

"Yes, Potter. The process is nearly complete. In a few minutes, Ginny Weasley will be dead. And I will cease to be a memory. Lord Voldemort will return. Very much alive." Harry moves toward Ginny, then suddenly the basilisk shoots out of the tunnel, hissing directly in front of Harry. Trapped, Harry glances around, then impulsively leaps upward, begins to scale the statue of Salazar Slytherin. The serpent strikes madly, but Harry continues on climbing until he reaches the top. He turns. Sees the Sorting Hat. Sees what glitters within: the ruby handle of a sword. Harry turns, sword in hand, and fends off the slashing serpent. In a mad rush of courage, he pitches himself onto the serpent, slides down its back and rolls up, sword raised. Too tired to flee, Harry simply waits. The serpent rises and, fangs bared, strikes. Marshalling every ounce of strength left to him, Harry drives the sword upward, deep into the roof of the serpent's mouth. It hisses in pain, thrashing madly as it drives a fang into Harry's arm. Harry clutches his arm in agony, stumbles back and falls to the floor, watching as the serpent thrashes briefly then goes still.

"You killed a giant snake at 12 years of age" One of the Lestrange brothers says smiling at him in amazement along with half the Slytherins.

Harry peers down, sees the fang that pierces his arm, the blood soaking slowly into his robe. As he yanks the fang free, Riddle steps forward, almost fully whole now. His eyes shine at the sight of Harry's wound.

"Remarkable, isn't it? How quickly the venom of the Basilisk penetrates the body? If you have any final words, Potter, you'd best speak them now. I'd guess you have little more than a minute to live."

Lily gasps along with some of the others.

Harry blinks heavily, watching as the skin of his forearm turns a troubling gray.

"So ends the famous Harry Potter. On his knees in the Chamber of Secrets. Defeated at last by the Dark Lord he so unwisely challenged. You'll be back with your dear Mudblood mother soon, Harry" As Riddle talks, Harry glances at Ginny, nearly white now, a small ghost, the only evidence of life the trembling of a single finger. Harry studies the finger and what lies beneath it: Tom Riddle's diary. Harry begins to crawl toward her. "Funny, isn't it? The damage a silly little book can do? Especially in the hands of a silly little girl." As Harry reaches Ginny, he places his hand on hers, then slips the diary free. "What are you doing? No. Stop" Riddle's face creases in fear. He lunges forward. But Harry is too quick. Raising his hand high he plunges the fang into the book. Instantly, black ink spurts from the pages. "No!" Riddle shrieks, writhing in pain. His body begins to wither instantly, growing blurry once more. As the ink runs off Harry's fingers to the floor, Riddle vanishes altogether. Harry sinks back, then hears a faint moan. Ginny stirs, colour blooming in her cheeks. As she sees Harry, she sobs.

"Harry. It was me! But I swear, I didn't mean to Riddle made me. He wrote to me took me over. I didn't even know whose diary it was. I found it inside my cauldron. The day we all went to Diagon Alley and Harry. You're hurt"

"Ginny. You need to get yourself out. Follow the chamber. You'll find Ron" There is a rush of wings and Fawkes circles down, lays his head onto Harry's arm. "You were brilliant, Fawkes. I just wasn't quick enough." Then Harry blinks, looks down. Thick pearly tears are trickling down Fawkes' face and onto his arm. Almost instantly, his wound begins to heal itself. "Of course. Dumbledore told me. Phoenix tears have healing powers." looking up at Ginny "It's all right, Ginny. It's over. It's just a memory" With Fawkes gliding gracefully ahead of them, Harry and Ginny make their way back. Up ahead, Ron's face appears.