33. Birthday Celebration.

CLAUDE POV.

I can't sleep.

I lied on the sofa the melody that Ara used to sing replaying in my head again and again yet, I couldn't sleep

I lied on the sofa the melody that Ara used to sing replaying in my head again and again yet, I couldn't sleep. All I could recall was her face when she was telling us the story of her death and of the time when I'd last seen Ara as Ara.

The smile on her face, the blood flowing down her chin and the light in her eyes.

I turned my head to see Ara's drawings on the table, she had made them when she was seven, the portraits of Diana's, Athanasia, myself and hers. I had casted the preservation spells on them to keep them with me for a long time, I didn't know there would be a time when I'd have to quell my sorrows by looking at them.

"I wish for Your Majesty to give these children love." I recalled Diana's words and I turned my head to look at her portrait that hung on the wall.

"As you have loved me, I hope you can give that same love to these precious children."

I tried to Diana, but I guess I was lacking. That's why I have almost lost one of our children.

I placed my hand over my eyes feeling the tears of helplessness and despair starting to gather.

I still wondered how Ara managed to break the black magic spells that I had put on myself to forget Diana and to erase my emotions. I had a lot of questions of how she did things she usually did. People were terrified of me, they didn't even dare to look me in the eye, yet this little thing even at the age of 5 stood before me calm and composed staring me in the eyes without any traces of fear.

I always thought that Athanasia was more like you, Diana and Amara was like me. But that girl... she proved me wrong. She had something of yours in her, the quality to sacrifice herself for the ones she loved and she did just that.

Am I... so weak that I can't even protect my own child through all this? Did she really think of me as such a weak person that she took it all upon herself to save her sister from that mana explosion? Was it too much to rely on me?

"No, Your Majesty..."

The glowing light made me turn my head and this time I saw her.