Chapter 31

Derek's (Alpha) POV

Sitting in my office chair i cant keep the wide grin off that keeps appearing on my face, since the moment i brought Ryder back with me. As soon as i walked through the door and Moira saw him her whole face lit up, and she squealed with delight when i informed her we would be having him for the whole night. With the reaction i got anyone would think she hasn't seen him in weeks, and when Hope came downstairs her reaction was no better than her mothers. Just seeing both my girls happy makes me feel like the happiest man on the planet. I really didn't want to leave them, but knowing i had a little work to do i figured i might as well get it over with quickly so i can join them for the rest of the evening.

I'm about to close my laptop down for the night when i hear a distress howl coming from the south of our territory, I'm about to exit my office to investigate when Ben one of my warriors comes barreling in the door. "Alpha we have a problem, the rogues are back and heading this way, John is out there and said he smells around twenty of them, but i cant get hold of Lewis, who was running that perimeter with him" he informs me.

I quickly shift into my wolf and I'm immediately met with the voices of my other warriors, feeling glad that they reacted quickly when they heard the distress call. Ben opens the door, before transforming into his wolf and we both quickly head downstairs. I'm greeted to the sight of my warriors all waiting for my command, i search the link for Lewis and feel sorrow, i can sense that hes no longer there and knowing he would never leave the pack, i know the rogues have killed him. Snapping out of my thoughts i immediately instruct my warriors to follow me, leaving two by the front door to protect my family if one of the rogues gets through our defence. Minding linking Moira i tell her to be safe, and we head out, the only thought running through my head is stopping the rogues from getting anywhere near them.

As we are running along, I'm aware that i can no longer hear John, i can still 'sense' him so i can only assume hes turned back into his human form. The mind link can be really inconvenient at times like this, as we can only speak to each other in wolf form, unless its our mates, and then we can link them in both forms once we fully mate. As Alpha, once in wolf form i can 'sense' the people in my pack, even when they are in human form, even though i cant speak to them, if one died or left the pack my wolf and i would sense it in wolf form.

We've been running for about twenty minutes, and i know we are nearing where John is as i can smell his scent, I'm on high alert but confused that i cant smell any rogues. A few seconds later i reach a clearing where i spot John down on his knees with his face bowed in shame. Maybe hes feeling guilty about Lewis? My wolf growls at this, and I'm wondering why when i notice Johns face looking at me and his eyes practically scream guilt. I quickly transform into my human form and approach him "I'm so sorry Alpha, I'm so sorry, but they have my mate and said they would kill her if i didn't do it" he continues rambling apologises and I'm feeling confused at his behaviour. I'm about to ask him what hes talking about when i feel a sharp pain at the back of my head, bringing me to my knees. I reach up to touch the spot that hurts and notice Ive suffered no injury. Realization hits me like a truck as i realize the Moira is in trouble, understanding what john actually meant, i quickly transform back into my wolf heading back to the house. I instruct one of the warriors to secure him, and inform them that is was a set up, i explain about feeling Moira's pain. "Alpha, what about Carl and Anthony?" one of my warriors asks through the link. I was that worried about Moira i realize i never checked, searching for them both, i cant 'sense' either of them, again sorrow tries to grip me as i realize Ive lost two more members of my pack tonight, but knowing i need to protect my family i push my wolf forward.

We are about  fifteen minutes from the pack house when a voice joins the link that i never expected to hear "daddy" its so faint, but i know i heard it. "Hope?" i ask back still making sure. At fourteen we were beginning to worry about our daughter as she still hadn't shifted, so not being there for her for her first shift is devastating to me. "Daddy, help, of god please help" she begs, and i can hear the confusion, fear and desperation in her voice. "Daddy's on his way, where are you? Wheres your mum?" i ask her calmly, while pushing my wolf to run faster. She starts to answer, when a blood curdling scream comes through the link, and then it goes silent. I try calling her name but get no answer, calming myself down i search for her and realize that she must have returned to her human form.

Pushing my wolf faster than we've ever run before i reach the pack house ten minutes later, my eyes immediately go to the two warriors that are laying dead at the door. Quickly charging into my human form i run in the room my eyes search the lounge, where i know Moira is, i locate her slumped on the couch.  Rushing over to her i check her pulse, relived its strong and shes still breathing, seeing some off my warriors enter the room, i immediately order them to call the pack doctors while some follow me upstairs, where i can sense Hope the most. Coming to the top of the stair case, i see two bodies laying near a door, i cant help the despair i feel at seeing Jenny and Jason laying there.  I was so focused on getting here as quickly as possible i dint feel them both leaving my mind. They are both in human form and i know that they were taken be surprise. I cant help wondering why the two were even here, we don't have many people staying at the pack house, mainly just some of the warriors and some young mated couples, but as its Saturday night and all mated couples normally go out. As i rush further down the hallway the smell of blood hits me, and i come to a door that been knocked down. Rushing in the sight leave me breathless and i immediately feel warm tears rushing down my cheeks. Hope is laid on the floor, her body has so much blood gushing from it, i cant even see where the worst of her wounds are to stem to blood flow. Quickly grabbing a blanket to cover her nakedness i pick her up as gently as i can, my blood boiling as i notice some bite marks on her shoulders. Running down the stairs with her i know i need to get her to the doctor quickly, shes lost so much blood, i sending a quick prey, preying she can survive this. 

Finally getting her to the hospital section of the house the doctor starts to work on her,  i see Casey and Jackson running towards me with worried eyes "what happened Alpha?" Jackson enquiries, while looking at Hope, i see it in his eyes that he knows its not looking good for her at the moment. I'm about to respond when Hope stirs and opens her eyes with a look of fear so strong it nearly knocks me back a step, i see her mouth moving but i cant quite catch what shes saying. I lean in closer and wait for her to speak again "Ryder's gone." At this my world comes crashing down again, how could i forget about my grandson? With my worry for Moira and then Hope i forgot that he was with us tonight, quickly leaving the room i head toward the lounge where i know some of the warriors are. After we got back i sent some warriors after the scents of the rogues, to try and track them down, and now more than ever I'm hoping they have good news for me. I try calling Jayden's phone but it just keeps ringing, i immediately instruct Jackson and Casey to go get him and Alexia and bring them back here after quickly explaining to everyone in the room that Ryder is gone, and our first priority is tracking the rogues and getting my grandson back. Some of my warriors that are staying behind go to make more calls for other members of the pack to get here quickly, so we can formulate a plan and getting everyone that's able to out helping looking for Ryder.

I sit down on the couch for a moment trying to get my emotions in check, as Alpha i have to be strong for my pack. I want to get back out there and look for Ryder but right now i need to give orders and sort out a plan. Although one of my warriors took Moira to the hospital, i was told she will be fine, apparently one of the rogue used something heavy to hit her in the back on the head and knock her out. She should wake up in a couple of hours and I'm grateful that other than a headache she will be fine. I just wish she was here to help guide me, with Hope in critical condition and Ryder gone, I'm not looking forward to facing Alexia and Jayden when they arrive. I know John has been secured and from what Ive been told, the rogues kidnapped his mate and told him to make the distress call at a certain time, in that location or they would kill her. He said he didn't know they would kill anyone, and wasn't aware they were after Ryder! I still cant help feeling anger and betrayal towards him. Could this have all been prevented had he told me sooner? I'd like to think so, but at what cost? If what hes saying is true, surely the cost would have been his mates life? The saying 'sacrifice one to save many' comes to mind, knowing that to save his mate we've lost five people tonight, six if Hope doesn't make it, plus Ryder is gone. I cant help wondering what my decision would have been had i been in the same position, I'm still pondering this thought when one word snaps me out of it.

"Dad" looking at Jayden's distraught face, i know its time to face my sons wrath for failing him and his son.