chapter 29

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

"I... I... I don't know where you live," Elsa stammered, tears streaming down her face.

The tears revealed her terror at the man standing before her.

Remembering the many enemies her sister had made, she felt somewhat fortunate that this man was suggesting taking her to the police instead of harming her in more gruesome ways.

"Am I going to pay for my twin sister's crimes?" she wondered, unable to meet the man's intimidating gaze. Her mind was blank as she struggled to comprehend the situation.

Jeremy chuckled and released her arm. "I see, 'Elsa' doesn't know where I live. Very well, 'Elsa,' I'll be kind enough to write down the address for you," he said, taking out a pen and jotting down an address on a napkin before leaving it on the table for Elsa.

He stood up, towering over her, which only added to her fear. "I expect you to be there before sundown tomorrow. If not, expect the police at your doorstep the following day," he warned, his tone sending a cold shiver down her spine.

With that, he made his way to the door, his hands tucked into his well-tailored suit pockets.

Once he was out of her apartment, Elsa rushed to the door and quickly locked it. She immediately felt safer knowing he was no longer there.

However, she realized that even if she was cautious about who she opened the door for, it wouldn't be enough to protect her next time.

Deep in thought, she massaged her neck, contemplating how she could prove to this man that she wasn't Gwen and get him to leave her alone.

"Oh Gwen! What have you done this time? Why is this man after me?" she wondered.

What she couldn't understand was why he claimed she was Gwen who had changed her name. Why would her records indicate that? "No, they wouldn't.

He was just testing me to gauge my reaction," Elsa reasoned, finding that explanation more plausible. She decided not to dwell on it and instead focused on what she needed to do next: prove to this man that she was not Gwen.

If it were anyone else, she might not have bothered, but it was a Callahan. You didn't want to be on their bad side. Unfortunately, Gwen was.

Elsa drove back to her apartment and then to Gwen's, collecting receipts and any documents with her name on them, even from months and years ago, to prove her identity as Elsa and not Gwen. She organized them neatly in a file and rehearsed a speech in her head. She looked like a lawyer preparing for a high-stakes murder case when she arrived at the address.

Before her stood an enormous, stunning, and luxurious house. It was a villa, as Jeremy had instructed, but she hadn't expected it to be this grand. It was so large that one could easily get lost inside.

She informed the gatekeeper that she was Miss Halverson and had come to see Jeremy.

It was still before sundown, around 5 pm. She tried to arrive neither too late nor too early.