chapter 35

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

👼 MY ANGEL 👼

Elsa's mouth hung wide open as she processed what she had just heard. She was unable to speak for several seconds.

What was happening right now? "Wait, what?... What are you talking about?"

Jeremy was pleased with her reaction. He believed he had caught her in something.

"This file will prove that you attempted to cover your tracks by getting someone to clean up after you couldn't just kill off Gwen. When you couldn't simply become Elsa and leave Gwen behind. So, they made it appear as though you had changed your name from Gwen to Elsa. When in reality, you were Gwen the entire time. Was changing your name a way to protect yourself in case you were caught with two identities?"

The Rowlands had initially decided that Gwen would change her name when they tampered with Elsa's records. It was a close call because Jeremy gained access to them as soon as they were finished. However, there were certain things they couldn't completely erase.

So, they created Elsa as Gwen's persona from the past that she was trying to fully become, effectively eliminating Gwen. It was much easier if Elsa had already existed prior to this.

That would explain some of the loopholes they couldn't cover and would solve the puzzle entirely.

When Jeremy was investigating, his private investigator informed him that Elsa wasn't just someone Gwen became after she died. She was someone Gwen had created and built a life around.

A completely separate persona. Gwen wanted to erase her own existence, likely due to the people she had angered, and solely be Elsa.

She had someone change Gwen into Elsa so that Gwen would cease to exist. It was difficult but also easy at the same time because Elsa already had a life.

She had a life, identification, credit cards, and an apartment. She already existed. She wasn't someone Gwen was transforming into when she faked her own death.

Elsa was someone Gwen already had in her back pocket in case something went wrong.

With the evidence in front of him, Jeremy believed it. "How will you explain having two IDs with both of your fingerprints on government records, each stating a different name for you to different people?"

"Oh my god!... What?!" Elsa exclaimed. "How is that possible?"

"Do you have any idea how much trouble you would be in? You have two social security numbers, two IDs, two driver's licenses... all belonging to you. If I take this to court, you will be charged with fraud."

Elsa's legs suddenly grew weak, and she could barely remain standing.

This didn't feel real; it felt like a nightmare.

How was any of this even possible? Who was behind all of this? There must be someone orchestrating it!

"Someone trying to turn me into Gwen? Or Gwen into me? Whichever it is, this cannot all be a coincidence. Now what? I never had a sister? Gwen was just me? Is that what they want me to believe?"

"Do you know how long you would spend in prison for fraud, Miss Halverson?" Jeremy asked, relishing in the tension he had created.

He enjoyed seeing the color drain from Elsa's face.