Part 1

From the plush confines of his black BMW, parked just outside the haveli, Hayder could hear the tumultuous shouting and chaos that seemed to engulf the ancient mansion. He waited patiently for the imposing gates to swing open, granting him entry. As the gates creaked open, an eerie hush fell upon the haveli, as if the very walls were hushed into silence by his presence. A subtle smirk played on Hayder's lips as he relished the effect his arrival had on the atmosphere.

Stepping inside, he surveyed the scene before him. A group of four, whispering conspiratorially, huddled on the ground, engrossed in a clandestine discussion. Nearby, his brother, Sameer, lounged on the sofa, his smug grin betraying that he was privy to their secretive plans.

'Assalm-walekum'Hayder announced his entrance, 'Walekum assalam beta' his mother, Salmareplied coming out of the kitchen 'Wahi main sochu itni shanti kaise ho gayi'she taunted looking at the gang 'Tum baitho main paani deti hu'.

Haydernodded smiling at his mother and as Hayder approached the group,their hushed conversations ceased. He settled onto the couch, and they stoodbefore him, nervous anticipation written on their faces.. Hayder raised hiseyebrow 'Kya pakk raha hai?'; Zain nudged silently urging her to speakup, but she remained silent until Mobeen gently pushed her forward.

'Kya huahai? Sabke zabaan pe taala kyu laga hai?' this time he asked strictly.

'Wobhaijaan, mera exam khatm ho raha hai next week to hum soch rahe the KulluManali ghum kar aaye...' Naaziya said timidly. Hayder nodded, encouragingher to continue, but when she faltered, he prompted,  'Aur?' To which she responded in asingle breath 'Tosablogofficesechuttilesaktehai'.

'KYA? dheema bolo Naaziya'he said irritated.

'To sab log office se chutti le sakte hai?' Naaziyaadded, her voice barely above a whisper, unable to meet his eyes.

'Naaziya,tum room mein jao' he said calmly. As soon as Naaziya was out of sight,Hayder brought his attention back to his brothers, 'Kiska idea tha...office seek saath chutti lene ka?' he asked in a composed tone.

'Bhai wo Naaziyako break chahiye tha to humne socha family vacation kar lete hai, bahut saal senahi hui hai' Zain explained in a hushed voice.

'Aur aapki JK textileske saath ki meeting aapki secretary karengi?' Hayder spoke quietly, but hisfrustration was palpable. 'Kya tum log bhool gaye ho, next month mein humneaapni sabse badi deal deliver karni hai. Tum log responsibility ka R bhisamjhte ho. Department ke head ho...act like one. Tumse jyada to company kemanagers planned hote hai. And next time Naaziya ke naam pe ye bekar ke planmat banana. Ab jao and do something productive' he concluded, his voicefirm and authoritative.