Part 32

Naajiya gently pushed the door to Hyder's room open, her heart heavy with concern. She found him standing on the balcony, gazing at the city lights below, but he seemed lost in a world of his own. She approached him quietly, her soft footsteps masked by the city's distant hum.

As she reached out to touch his shoulder, he startled, jerking away with a panicked look in his eyes. His sudden reaction shook her, and she instinctively withdrew. But then, recognition dawned on him as he realized it was Naajiya. He let out a shaky breath and tried to smile, though it didn't reach his eyes.

"Sorry, I didn't hear you coming," he said, attempting to sound casual, but the tremor in his voice betrayed his anxiety.

Naajiya observed him closely, the depths of his struggle hidden behind his tough facade. She knew that he carried a heavy burden, a past filled with torment and darkness. Yet, he chose to present himself as a powerful, unyielding figure to the world.

She yearned to draw closer, her lips longing to plant a gentle kiss to soothe him. Yet, the moment her lips brushed his lips, his body tensed in discomfort. Sensing his unease, she withdrew slowly. With her hand on his face, fingers caressing his stubbled cheeks, she whispered softly, "I'll wait until human touch no longer terrifies you.' She hesitated but continued 'Agar kal main hum dono ke liye kuch decision lu to aap mera saath doge bina koi sawal pooche?"

Hyder's heart raced with fear, dreading that she might be tired or disappointed by his reactions. However, when he gazed into her eyes, he found only love and adoration. It was a balm to his wounded soul, and in her presence, his pain began to ease.

A warm smile broke across his face, and he drew her close into a tight embrace. In that hug, he conveyed a promise – a promise to confront his fears head-on, to conquer the shadows that haunted him, all for the sake of their shared future.

****

The Siddique Haveli was filled with an eerie silence as Naajiya's announcement hung in the air. A month from now, they would be married, and shortly after, they planned to move out of the haveli. The shock on their family's faces was palpable, a mix of sadness and disbelief.

Zain stood up, his face filled with a sense of responsibility. "I'm sorry for my mother's actions," he began, but his words were cut short.

Agha Jaan, the patriarch, intervened, his voice heavy with sadness. "Beta, hum tumhara gussa samajhte hai. Par tum bhi samjho, Farheen villain nahi hai; usne bhi zakhm jhela hai. Usne jo kiya wo galat tha, par humne jo uske saath kiya uske liye hum bhi to galat hue."

Naajiya felt her patience waning, and she finally spoke, "Maaf kare, Agha Jaan, par Farheen koi victim nahi hai. She's an abuser who used her own suffering as an excuse to hurt Hyder. Mera dil unko maafi nahi de sakta na hi unke saath hamdardi kar payega."

Areeb joined the discussion. "Beta, humdardi ki baat nahi hai. Bas hum samjhte hai woh aisi kyu ban gayi."

Naajiya's eyes welled up with disappointment, "So, if it's about understanding the reasons behind hurting innocent people, toh Hyder, Zain or Shohaib se waise hi badla le sakta hai?"

Her response cast a hushed spell over the room, but as the weight of Zain's guilt and helplessness bore down on him, it soon transformed into irritation. He spoke unable to accept their decision, 'Bhai, itne din to rahe naa saath. Ab kyu?' his frustration was palpable.
'Zain bhai, main samajhti hu aap apni ammi se naraz nahi ho sakte par aapko Hyder se ye bolte bhi sharm nahi aa rahi. Aapko kya lagta hai, aapko dekh kar unko aapki ammi aur unke torcher ki yaad nahi aati hogi? Aati hogi, par phir bhi unhone kabhi aap loge saath kuch galat nahi kiya; galat to choriye, ek tinka mohabbat mein kami nahi ki' Naaziya was breathing heavily. Feeling emotions building up, she stopped to calm herself 'Aur aaj tak Hyder sehte aaye kyuki wo sabki zimmedari lete the; par ab main unki zimmedari li hu. Aur main unko aise chath ke neeche nahi rehne de sakti jahan wo kabhi kush naa ho paye'.

Salma, though she perceived it as an injustice to her son, was torn. She believed that breaking the family apart might be even worse. She finally spoke, "Aur alag hoke kush rahega?"

Hyder, feeling a profound sense of betrayal, cast a wounded look at his mother. He tightly held Naajiya's hand, their fingers interwoven, and spoke, breaking the heavy silence, 'Haan kush rahunga. Kyunki mujhe pata hoga kal ko mera bacha aise ghar mein nahi rahega jahan 2 ped0fiIe rehte hai aur baaki ke log unke actions ko justify karte hai'.

Hyder rose to his feet, gently pulling Naajiya along with him as they left the room. Just as they were about to exit, they overheard Sameer say, "Main bhi bhai ke saath hi rahunga."

As the evening wore on, the divide in the Siddique family deepened. The choices made in the weeks to come would test their bonds and unveil the strength of each character, leaving them with a complex dilemma of forgiveness, redemption, and the pursuit of happiness.