Part 19

As days turned into weeks, Sameer remained in an unconscious state. Despite the doctors losing hope, the family continued to pray and hold on to optimism. Gradually, the family resumed their regular routines, except for the regular hospital visits.

It has been two months since the accident, Hyder returned home from the hospital, disheartened by Sameer's unchanged condition. Upon entering, he noticed Salma looking at him with a mix of guilt, frustration and anger.

'Kya hua, Ammi?' Hyder asked.

'Sumaira aayi thi tumhare aur Shafa rishta khatm karne' She informed.

Hyder looked at her with bored expression, this was least of his problems.

'Bol ke gayi hai, ki tumhara aur Naaziya ka kuch hai. Aur usne khud dekha hai'

Hyder felt irritated hearing the allegations 'Toh kya? Karne do cancel. Main mara nahi jaa raha. Aur apne Naaziya ke liye sun kaise liya'

'Tumhe abhi bhi Naaziya ka khayal aa raha hai. Ek baar Shafa ka nahi socha. Beta mujhe khud nahi samajh mein aa raha hai tum kya soch rahe ho. Itna khayal hai to Naaziya se hi Nikah ke liye haan kar dete'

'Ammi phir wahi baat. Main Naaziya se kabhi Nikah nahi karunga'

'Hyder tumhare pasand se Rishta le kar gaye the hum. Tumko farak nahi padta uske tootne pe aur jisse tumhe farak padta hai use tumhe Nikah nahi karna. Aise kya pareshani hai, Ammi ko bhi nahi bataoge' Salma asked, perplexed.

'Ammi aapko bhi pata hai, koi shauq se nahi bola tha. Aap log hi peeche pade the. Ab tootne pe gum ki Umeed na karein'

**

Naaziya and Rafiya sat together in Rafia's room, going through pictures on her laptop.

'Ye aacha hai Bhabhi' Naaziya exclaimed.

'Hain naa. Mujhe bhi bahut pasand aaya ye lehnga. Reception pe aacha lagega' Rafia replied.

It was a newfound interest Rafia had found, preparing for her wedding. For Rafia, wedding preparations had become a source of hope that Sameer would wake up, and they could eventually get married. Naaziya actively participated in these preparations, knowing that it brought a smile to Rafia's face.

'Khareed lu phir?' Rafia enquired.

Naaziya paused for a moment before answering, 'Arey Bhabhi, ek baar date final ho jaye tab order kariyega. Warna ghar pe kharab ho jaate hai'

Rafia's eyes welled up with tears as Naaziya's hesitation triggered memories of the accident.

'Arey Bhabhi ro kyu rahi hai, dekhiyega date kuch hi din mein final ho jayegi' Naaziya reassured her, enveloping her in a hug. While Rafia could only nod her head sobbing.

**

'Tayi Ammi, apne khana nahi khaya?' Naajiya barged into her room.

'Bhook nahi thi Naazo' she said patting her head.

'Aise kaise chaliye main aapko khana deti hu' she said faking her anger.

Salma wanted to talk to Naaziya, she wanted to suggest that she should leave India for Australia as planned. She did not want more people to talk about her due to Hyder. She knew Hyder would never agree to marry her. And the rumours would kill any good future prospects for Naaziya.

'Naaz, ek baat bolu, bura mat manana. Tumhari bhalayi ke liye keh rahi hu' Salma started the conversation with guilt. But before she could move forward, her door thud open and in came huffing Hyder.

'Ammi, Sameer uth gaya' he said catching his breath and tears in his eyes. They hugged immediately and shed their Happy tears.

**

The entire family had gathered in Sameer's room. Salma was seated on his bed, holding his hands and crying, as if afraid that leaving his side might cause him to slip away again.

'Ammi, bas bhi karo. Kab tak rona hai. Dekho yahan se nayi Nadi behne lagi, Dariya-e-salma' he joked trying to lighten heavy atmosphere.

Hyder also gently patted Salma's shoulder, silently asking her to calm down. Naaziya noticed Rafia's emotional state and gestured towards Hyder. After all, Naaz had seen Rafia's suffering firsthand, much like Salma's.

'Ammi, wo abhi utha hai. Usko thoda araam karne do' Hyder requested everyone to move out of the room, giving the privacy the couple deserved.

'Itna kya thak gaye the 2 mahine sote rahe, apko pata hai hum kitna bore hue' Rafia complained, she was never good at expressing her grief.

'Arey main to chup chap tumhari bak bak sun raha tha 2 mahine se. Socha jab uthunga to kam se kam tumhari itni baatein ruk jayengi' Sameer joked back.

'Bateein nahi humari saanse ruk gayi thi' she mumbled, looking down and trying to hold back her tears.

Pulling her closer, Sameer embraced her in a warm hug and reassured her, 'Jaan, please aise mat ro. Pakka ab kahin nahi jaa raha'.

'Abki kuch kiya to main khud aapko jaan se maar dungi' Rafia warned, nestling into his chest, seeking comfort.

The room was filled with a mixture of emotions, a blend of relief, love, and laughter, as Sameer and Rafia held onto each other tightly.