Part 33

It was another silent breakfast, much like yesterday and the day before and the days preceding it. Despite Naaziya suggesting a move out of the haveli, she hadn't anticipated the resulting lack of interaction among everyone. It felt like they were strangers under the same roof.

Hyder was engrossed in his work in the study when Naaziya entered, claiming the space as if it were her own and settling onto his lap. Hyder arched his brows in question.

"Main bore ho rahi," she declared.

"And?" Hyder asked.

"To aap sabko ikhatta karein aur bole mere saath ice cream khane chale," she demanded.

Hyder looked at her helplessly. "Naazo, koi nahi jayega. Chalo main le chalta hu."

"No," she requested with puppy eyes.

"Sorry, Meri wajah se tum bhi..." he stopped, unsure of how to express his gratitude that she had chosen him over her family and now she was feeling lonely. "I am sorry to pull you into my darkness. Ab tum apne hi pariwar ke saath has ke baith nahi pa rahi. Main tumhari muskurahat kaise wapas lai?"

"Arey Arey, aap kya bole jaa rahe hai. 3 din serious kya ho gayi main, aap to mujh pe tauhmat hi laga de rahe. Aur, aapko kya hua hai serial mein bahu ka role mil gaya kya jo itna ro rahe hai," she teased, trying to lighten the mood. She playfully created a frown on his face and continued, "Aur aap aise mogambo hi aache lagte hai...topi bahu nahi. Chalo ab sabko neeche bulao mujhe ice cream khana hai."

He looked at her, checking if she was forcing herself to cheer him up, but to his surprise, she seemed genuinely normal. Holding her wrist to stop her from getting up, he asked, "Why?"

She first frowned, not understanding his question, but then smiled warmly. "Kyunki agar hum ghar mein rehte to injustice hota aapke saath. Sabne aapse galat umeed rakhi, they were being pushover. They are expecting you to forget a crime which still haunts you and the sad part is they know it and still have the expectation. Main gussa hu par hai to humari family hi naa, nafrat thodi naa karti hu ki baat hi naa karu. Aur galti badi ki hai, hum bache kyu lade aapas mein. Rahi baat Zain ki, unhone ne jo aapse kaha wo galat tha, but wo emotional the. Aa khud socho, Unhe ab pata chala ki wo jisko ammi bulate the, unse koi rishta hi nahi tha. Farheen ne Zain bhai ka hamesha dhyan rakha, so Zain bhai unko chor ke humare saath nahi aa sakte naa."
Hyder was amazed by clarity of thought of this young girl. She had chosen to move away from the family for him but still wouldn't disown them, leaving him relieved and less guilty.

Everyone sat silently in the car, unsure how to initiate conversation. No one except Naajiya, who quipped, "Koi mar gaya hai kya? Sab itne shant kyu hai?"

"To kya kare? Naache?" Mobeen chided.

"Aap to mat hi nacho, ghar ke Sunny Deol. Shohaib bhai nachenge, humare Hritik," Naajiya playfully continued.

Mobeen rolled his eyes. "Haan dekha tha Hritik ko Sahiba ki shaadi mein. Aisa naache the ki payjama phat gaya tha."

"Kam se kam Rohail ki party ki tarah dance floor to nahi toda tha," Shohaib retorted, and laughter ensued, breaking the awkwardness.

****

Naaziya was reviewing wedding catalogs with the planners and complained, "Ye kya boring colors hai. Kya koi red ya white ke alawa decorations nahi hote shaadi mein?"

"Ma'am, pastel ka trend hai aaj kal ya phir red bahut famous hai," they explained.

"Mujhe kuch unique chahiye," she said, glancing more at Hyder than the event planner. "Mujhe green-colored wedding chahiye. Green matlab sage green, pistachio green, forest green, and olive sabka mix hona chahiye with bronze and off-white."

She turned toward Hyder, seeking his opinion, and he nodded. "Ahaan...kya hai? Aapka bhi nikah hai. Koi opinion to dijiye," she whined.

"Meri jaan, kya opinion du mujhe green aur white ke alawa kuch samajh hi nahi aaya. But I am sure aacha hi hoga," he responded with a chuckle, leaving Naaziya blushing at his endearment.
***

'Hyder...Hyder....Hyder,' she trailed after him like a lost puppy.

'Naaziya, bas karo. Nahi matlab nahi,' he replied, visibly irritated.

'Aise mat kariye. Aacha lagta hai dulhan ke bhai mehndi wale din aa rahe?' She retorted.

'Mere bhi bhai hai. Aur agar wo nahi jayenge to main chala jata hu,' he said with a serious face. Naaziya didn't anticipate that her playful request for him to turn back into Mogambo would have consequences. Hyder smirked, relishing the moment he seemingly won over Naaziya.

Hyder had secured a new deal that required him to be in Hyderabad for the signing, scheduled a day before their mehndi function. Since Hyder was compelled to stay, he instructed Sameer and Shohaib to handle the formalities. As expected, they urged Naaziya to convince Hyder to postpone the deal signing. However, much to their dismay, Hyder remained resolute.

'Theek hai, Aap apni deal mat postpone karo, main apna nikah hi postpone kar deti hu,' she declared, wiping away his smirk.
He shook his head, admitting his defeat, yet again.

*******

Let's cut our leads some slack, shall we? Time for them to kick back, relax, and soak in the bliss of their wedding festivities.