Part 16

Returning well past midnight, Hyder spotted a furious Sameer waiting for him. Sameer gestured for him to follow to the rooftop. Once away from the family, Sameer didn't mince words.

'Do you even realise, Aap Naaz ke saath kya kar rahe hai? Jab sambhalna nahi tha to itna bada dikhawa kyu?'

'Ye sab uske bhale ke liye hi hai. Usko..' Hyder tried reasoning but was cut-off by Sameer's mocking laugh.

'Ya right..Aur sabko chor ke jaa rahi hai. Sirf aapko nahi; hum sabko. Sabko jo usse pyar karte hai'. Hyder stood there with loss of words.

'Agar aap khush hote to main kuch nahi kehta. Samjh nahi raha hai itna kya problem hai Naaziya se nikah karne mein'

'Because I care for her' Hyder said, his frustration evident.

Sameer let out a sigh and walked away, getting into his car as he tried to quell his own frustration.

**

Hyder found himself in another sleepless night when his phone buzzed, revealing Shafa's caller ID. Confused by the late-hour call, he answered with a puzzled 'Hello'.

'Abhi office se call aaya tha, hospital contacted them. Sameer has met with accident and is admitted in LifeCare hospital. Jaldi chalo' Shafa's voice was laced with panic.

Hyder hurried to the hospital, finding Shafa anxiously waiting. "The doctors are waiting for you. They need you to sign some documents before they proceed with his surgery," Shafa informed him.

Hyder turned pale on hearing it, with heavy steps he went towards the doctor's cabin.

'Sorry Mr. Siddique' the doctor began 'the accident was severe and Sameer ke sir pe chot aayi hai. It's a head injury with a skull fracture and intracranial bleeding. We need to operate on him immediately to stop the bleeding to prevent further damages. My junior will explain you the entire procedure and answer all your questions. But in the meanwhile, can you please sign on these consent forms so that we can start with operation? Time is of the essence, and we can't afford any delay' Doctors explained. Hyder nodded fazed by the recent events.

The doctors' words left Hyder dazed. Exiting the doctor's office, he collapsed onto a bench with a heavy sigh. Shafa hurried over to his side, offering support.

'Are you ok?' Shafa's worried voice broke through. Hyder found it hard to speak, his throat constricted with emotion, so he nodded and rubbed his face, as if trying to wake up from a nightmare. Shafa placed a comforting hand on his shoulder.

'Allah se dua karo, Sab theek hoga' She tried consoling him. 'Ammi ko bataya?' she enquired.

Hyder realized that he had rushed to the hospital without informing anyone in the family. His expression provided the answer. 'Koi baat nahi. Main Ammi aur Abbu ko bolti hu, wo khala ko le kar aayenge' she assured him.

**

Within a few hours, the entire family had gathered at the hospital. Salma's tears flowed freely; she couldn't bear another loss. Already shattered by her husband's passing, this new crisis was breaking her spirit. Naaziya and Inayat were there to console her. Arif and Areeb stood with a junior doctor, trying to understand the procedure. Hyder and Shafa sat on a separate bench.

Farheen approached Hyder and softly said, 'Chinta mat karo. Sab theek hoga'. Hyder looked at her with blank expression and walked away.

Farheen attempted to call him back, but her husband stopped her, saying, 'Rehne do usse akela; Pareshan hai wo'.

**

The operation concluded after a grueling 16 hours. The doctors emerged from the operation theater and conveyed to the family, "The surgery was successful; we managed to stop the bleeding. However, he is still in a critical condition. We'll only know more about his state once Sameer regains consciousness. If he doesn't awaken within the next 48 hours, then the situation is grave. We are transferring him to the ICU."

'Papa, please Sameer ko theek kar do. Aap bhi to doctor ho, kuch karo naa please' Rafia implored her father with desperation. Her father pulled her into a consoling embrace, unable to provide the reassurance she desperately sought. The news had left everyone devastated.

Hyder moved toward the entrance of the operation theater, hoping to catch a glimpse of his brother and find some solace in seeing him. His heart yearned for a sign that Sameer was better than the doctors' prognosis. However, as he peered inside, he found no trace of his brother. Overwhelmed by emotions, he withdrew from the scene, distancing himself from the crowd and his family, consumed by self-blame for the unfortunate accident.

Naaziya quietly approached him and found him seated on a bench in the garden. She stood before him, giving him the space to acknowledge her presence. As he noticed her, he reached out and drew her close. Resting his head gently against her stomach, he whispered, 'Naaz wo theek to hoga naa' A tear welled up in his eye and rolled down his cheek.

Witnessing his vulnerability tugged at Naaziya's heartstrings. She tenderly wrapped her arms around him, her fingers gently massaging the back of his head. 'Hyder, Sameer bhai ko kuch nahi hoga.' she reassured him, her voice carrying a soothing tone. Responding to his need for solace, he embraced her, his hands encircling her waist, offering him her unwavering support in this trying moment.