Part 20

'Ammi, abhi aur kitni shopping karni hai' Sameer complained, his arms laden with over ten bags. He had reached his shopping limit and had no energy left for more.

'Haan bhai, mere nikaah ki shopping ho rahi hai jo mujhe farak pade. Baith jana reception pe T-shirt mein' Salma scolded.

Sameer fell silent, realizing that his mother was on the brink of losing her patience. The last three months had been incredibly busy. After his discharge from the hospital, Sameer had undergone physiotherapy to regain the use of his legs. Then rejoining the office. Rafia was there with him on every step he took. The ever childlike Rafia was so responsible with his health that Sameer fell all over again for her. Her devotion to his recovery had deepened their bond even further. Once, Sameer recovered, Rafia's parents proposed having their Nikah sooner rather than later. Rafia was unwilling to leave Sameer's side, even for a moment, and her parents understood her feelings.

In the midst of this, Hyder and Naaziya's relationship remained complicated. Despite their attempts to act indifferent, the tension between them was palpable to everyone around.

***

'Naazo, meri Jaan, tumhare bhai ne golden sherwani hi li hai naa?' Rafia asked over the phone call.

'Bhabhi, aapne 1 mahine se instructions diye the. Koi aur color kaise aata' Naaziya replied with a chuckle.

'Matlab Sameer mujhe chida rahe the. Ruko main call karke khabar leti hu unki' Rafia said before quickly ending the call.

Naaziya shook her head, amused by Rafia's playful nature. Sameer's accident had inadvertently brought them close. The camaraderie between them had grown as they shared their grief and supported each other through thick and thin, bonding over their relationships with the Siddique brothers.

***

The Siddiqui Haveli gleamed like a blushing bride with its vibrant decorations. Shafa paused at the entrance gate, her steps faltering.

'Ammi, mera jana jaroori hai. Azeeb lag raha hai'. she hesitated, her mind playing out the image of the house adorned like this for her own wedding with Hyder

'Beta, tumhe kuch sharmane ki baat nahi hai. Rishta humne toda tha, koi tumhe chor ke nahi gaya.' Sumaira reassured her daughter, trying to boost her confidence. 'Aur meri ek hi behen hai. Uske ghar ki shaadi mein to jana hoga naa' she added, providing a convenient excuse. But deep down, she hoped that facing Hyder would help Shafa move on from him. She couldn't bear to see her daughter pining for someone who didn't value her feelings.

'Assalamualaikum, Hyder beta' Sumaira greeted him with a forced smile as she spotted him.

Hyder was taken aback, to say the least. He appeared like a deer caught in headlights. After regaining his composure, he responded 'Walekum Asslam Khala, kaisi hai aap?'

'Main badhiya. Aur tumhare aur Naaziya ke Nikah ka kya hua. Date final nahi hui?' Sumaira spoke loudly enough for others to hear..

Hyder's brow furrowed, but not wanting to engage in such a discussion amidst the festivity, he decided to brush it off. 'Khala, sab guest garden mein hai. Ammi aapka wahan hi wait kar rahi'

With a forced smile, Hyder directed them both towards the garden, hoping to steer clear of any further conversation on the matter.

***

The haveli reverberated with the lively beats of the dhol, and Naaziya danced with unbridled joy on her face. An lady among the guests was observing Naaziya; couldn't help but be intrigued by her. Unable to contain her curiosity any longer, she inquired around, 'Wo kaun hai, wo green color mein. Centre mein dance ka rahi'

'Naajiya, Salma biji ke devar ki choti beti' another lady informed her 'Kyu kya hua?'

'Bahut pyari hai. Mere Faizal ke liye aachi rahegi, kyu?', the curious lady speculated.

'Iski surat pe naa jao. Sirf dikhti seedhi hai. Maine suna hai Hyder ke saath kuch rishta hai. Isliye to Shafa aur Hyder ka rishta toota.' She whispered in hushed tone.  

Unbeknownst to them, Salma overheard their conversation. Guilt weighed heavily on her heart, knowing that her son had led Naaziya; but then backed off saying everyone misunderstood. And it was now that only Naajiya was facing the repercussions; only she was being judged by the society.