ch 2

I am not sure how long I have been asleep for but I feel a gentle hand on my chest and a tiny figure in my arms shifts ever so slightly.
I peek my eyes open to see my little princess snuggled into my chest buried in the muscle of my arms and chest sound a sleep.
I looked up and saw Abigail who was gently shaking me.
"Hi, I didn't mean to wake you. My shift is over. And I need to get my daughter home showered and back into bed." Abigail whispered.
"Ok, have a good rest of the night." I whispered sleepily. And then opened my arms for my princess to be taken back home.
Well that home won't be theirs for long. After like 8 months hopefully Abigail and Mikayla will come live with me. Just gotta earn their trust.
The second Abigail picked up Mikayla. Mikayla latched onto me. Saying no stay with daddy. I'm sure she didn't mean to say that when she was half asleep but it warmed my heart knowing she called me daddy.
"What's going on?" Dad asked as he woke up. I looked at the time and saw this is a normal time for him to wake up at this time seeing as he wakes up at 2:30 every morning to use the bathroom so it's no surprise he heard whispers and a child's voice saying no over and over again.
"My shift is over and I was gonna take my daughter home so she can sleep in more comfortable clothes but she doesn't wanna leave and keeps calling him daddy." Abigail whispered as she pointed to both me and Mikayla.
"No, stay with daddy." Mikayla said, making Abigail sigh in defeat.
"Ok you can stay and go back to sleep." Abigail said and with that Mikayla snuggled back into my chest and I just looked on at my parents completely at a loss for words.
"I'll be back. I need to go home and shower and get us both a change of clothes." Abigail said and walked off.
"I'm at a loss for words." Dad said looking just as dumb founded as I am.
"Me too dad me too." I said and wrapped my arms around Mikayla and laid my head down on my pillow on this god offal hospital bed.

When I woke up the next morning I woke to tiny hands on my face and a whisper of a tiny little girl who grew attached to me in her sleep.
"Daddy. My daddy. I love you daddy." I heard Mikayla whisper over and over again.
My eyes fluttered open and I looked up at Mikayla just as Abigail walked in in a different set of scrubs.
"Good morning princess." I said.
"Morning daddy." Mikayla said.
"Mikayla sweetheart, it's time for breakfast before my shift here in 30 minutes." Abigail said.
"Ok mommy." Abigail said and climbed down off my bed. I noticed the stool was back by my bed.
Once I knew she was safely on the ground I watched as Mikayla ran to her mom and they left. Abigail looked extremely tired.
"She didn't sleep a wink when she returned." Dad said as he walked in with takeout from McDonald's and a cup holder of coffee.
"I wouldn't either, if my kid started calling a random stranger dad and refusing to leave." I said.
"I agree son. I got your favorite breakfast meal. Sausage, bacon and egg bagel, 2 hashbrowns, pancakes with bacon, and black coffee." Dad said.
"Sweet! Thanks dad." I said as he sat the blood on my rolling table along with my coffee and handed me a plastic fork and butter and syrup for my pancakes I dug into my favorite McDonald's breakfast and I was in heaven.

"Boss. Tia called. She doesn't have the space at her rescue, they just got hit by a hurricane. She wants to know if we have space for the animals who lost their family. A lot of them are dogs, half of them are farm animals." Max said with a phone in hand.
"We have  the room. Send Alex and some guys out with him with a couple of trailers to haul them back. If there are more that need to come back let me know I'll send more guys out to help." I said.
"She said there are 5 cows, 6 horses, 2 sheep and 60 dogs." Max said.
"Damn ok. Send 6 trailers down just in case." I said. Max nodded and told her they would be down as soon as possible.
"Teia said she will email you the information on the animals instead of faxing them to you since you are here." Max said coming back into the room just as Mikayla ran in behind him with tears in her eyes.
Then I found out why Abigail was arguing with a man in a football uniform who kept trying to touch her and then she yelled for security. Max picked Mikayla up and sat her on my hospital bed and then she cuddled into my chest crying.
"She is my daughter Abigail. I deserve to know my own daughter and get to see her.
"Why would I let an abusive NFL player. Who beat me to a pulp before he joined the NFL? I didn't press charges because the press would have been all over that before your career even started. I didn't want my private life put on blast. She is not your daughter, she is mine. I raised her. You knew about the pregnancy and signed your rights over because you didn't want a child. You didn't know if she was yours or not. then beat me while I was pregnant saying she wasn't yours, but once the DNA test was done confirming she is yours you signed all rights to her saying didn't want her and now you do? I took pictures previously on all the buries you left on my body even the rape kit too. You really think I'll let you near my daughter and abuse her too. No, it's not happening." Abigail said just as security came and took him away.
"Dang." Max said in shock.
"Took the words right out of my mouth. Go follow him out and make sure he leaves." I said.
Max nodded and quietly left.
"Daddy's got you princess." I whispered to Mikayla.
"Daddy he hurt me." Mikayla cried into my chest.
That alone made my blood boil but I kept my calm to not scare my little princess.
"We're sweetheart?" I asked. She pulled up her sleeve and I saw a red mark in the shape of a male hand bruising quickly.
"Someone get Abigail." I said as I gently held Mikayla's arm.
"Why?" Dad asked.
"That man that Abigail was arguing with hurt Mikayla. Her arm is swelling and starting to bruise." I said.
"That man hurt that little girl?" Dad asked.
"I'll go get her." Dad said and walked out the room.
"Can daddy kiss your ouch?" I asked softly.
"Daddy kiss boo boo?" She asked.
"Yes baby daddy kiss boo boo." I cooed at my princess.
"Kiss boo boo daddy." Mikayla said.
I gently pulled her arm up to my lips and kissed her arm all of where the harm mark on her arm was.
"Better princess?" I asked once I was done.
"Yes daddy." Mikayla said just as Abigail ran into the room.
"Mikayla!" Abigail panicked and gently grabbed her daughter's arm and she cried the second she saw the hand mark on her daughter's arm.
"I'm gonna get you some ice baby ok the ice is gonna help." Mikayla said.
"Daddy kisses boo boo mommy." Mikayla said.
"He did?" Abigail asked and Mikayla nodded.
"That was nice of him. I'm gonna get you an ice pack to help the kisses to help heal you boo boo ok." Abigail said.
"Ok mommy." Mikayla said and Abigail ran off to the room.
"Daddy can I watch TV?" Mikayla asked just as my mom walked into the room.
"Of course princess. Do you want Disney or Nickelodeon?" I asked as I turned the TV on.
"Disney!" Mikayla cheered.
I chuckled and looked for the channel.
Once I found it I set the remote down and then grabbed my coffee and took a sip.
"What happened? Why does she have a mark on her arm?" Mom asked.
"Let's have a walk honey and I'll tell you what happened." Dad said and took mom on a walk.
A moment later I heard sniffing and then Abigail came into the room but not in her scrubs anymore.
"Here baby girl." Abigail cooed.
"Thank you mommy. Why aren't you in your work clothes?" Mikayla said in questioning.
"Mommy boss gave mommy time off. They said I'm not in the right mind to work and to come back when mommy is ready." Abigail said.
"Abigail, can we do an x-ray on Mikayla's arm to make sure nothing is fractured or broken?" A different doctor asked.
"That's fine but we will have to come back to this room. Abigail will pitch a fit if she isn't in this room. She nearly had a fit when we had breakfast this morning." Abigail said.
"That's fine. Abigail can Dr. Finch take pictures of your bones with a special camera. I promise we will come back to daddy when we are done." Abigail said.
"Promise we come back?" Mikayla asked.
"You have my word sweetheart." Abigail said.
"Ok mommy. I be back daddy." Mikayla said
"I'll be here princess Disney will still be on once you get back." I said.
"Ok." Mikayla said and Abigail picked up her daughter and left the room with Dr. Finch.
"I want eyes on that football player. I don't want him near my girls again." I whispered to Max.
"I'll get Jinx on it now." Max whispered and typed on his phone just as mine beeped.
Max handed it to me since I couldn't reach it. I looked to see it was my good old friend Tia
The email she said she was gonna send.
I opened the email and went through each animal and what was wrong with them.
A small amount of them are healthy and nothing wrong with them
Why I called Marko who went to Tia to help with the animals and gave him the rundown on the animals that needed medical care.
When I got done with the call. Mikayla came running back in with a splint on.
"Daddy!" Mikayla yelled.
"Sprained wrist." Abigail said as he helped Mikayla on the bed.
"If I see him again after I'm healed, kicking his butt for putting his hands on a female and a little girl." I grumbled.
"Please do." Abigail said just as my parents walked back in.