ch 12

It's been a week since I got that call. And all the bodies of these teen girls are still being identified by dental records. It is currently a couple of days after Thanksgiving and it's rifle season for Hunt Kyle’s grandparents are still here and his grandpa woke me, Kevin, Dakota and Kyle up. It's still dark out and he had us all getting dressed in camo and orange. A week ago he had us all get our hunting license since Kyle had a couple of days off after the game he played on Thanksgiving Day.
“Here babe here is a cooler of drinks, snacks and food for everyone.” Abigail said as she handed me food. I fought with her to go back to sleep but she insisted on getting a cooler ready with food and drinks and promised to go back to bed once we leave.
“Thank you baby.” I said.
“Your welcome. Oh, each of you have a thermal with coffee in it. And another with just boiling hot water for herbal tea. Dad and Mato know how to make the tea. I have baggies for each cup. All you need to do is add it to your travel mugs that I just put in your backpacks. If you don't feel comfortable making the tea, dad or Mato can help you. Oh, each mug has a spoon in It to mix either the coffee or tea.” About said and I chuckled.
“Thank you baby.” I said and kissed her.”
“You're welcome. Do you boys have everything?” Abigail asked.
“Guns are in the trucks, same with amo, we have tug ropes with said guns and ammo, we have portable heaters as well. Our blinds are already set up. Our chairs are also in the blinds, we have walkie talkies too to keep in contact. Each blind is about 4 hound feet with each other all have our names number and address on it. We each have a battery bank to charge phones with a cord in a baggie in our backpacks, each a knife to gut a deer alone with gloves. Am I forgetting anything?” Mato said then asked as he listed everything he put in our backpacks the day before Thanksgiving.
“No grandpa.” Kyle said then yawned. Poor kid was dead tired still and so was I. The only ones that were not were Dakota and Mato.
“Drink your coffee in the car. We need to be in our blinds before dusk.” Mato said.
“Ok grandpa. Bye mom, I love you.” Kyle said then kissed her cheek.
“Love you too. Have fun hunting and bonding with your grandpa.” Abigail said.
“I will just promise to get more sleep.” Kyle said.
“I will, I promise I already promised Kyler I would.” Abigail said.
“Ok mom, love you.” Kyle said.
“I love you too, sweet boy.” Abigail said and kissed his cheek.
“fꭰꮤꭾꮾ, why do you have your med bag?” Abigail asked.
“In case someone gets shot you never know.” Dakota said.
“Smart idea fꭰꮤꭾꮾ,You can help them while help is on the way.” Abigail said.
“My point exactly.” Dakota said.
“You have fun hunting fꭰꮤꭾꮾlove you.” Abigail said.
“I will, love you too ꮣꭴꭼꮦꮾ.” Dakota said and kissed her forehead.
“Have fun Mato, did you say bye to Adeline before you have to leave?” Abigail asked.
“I will and I'm gonna do that now. That woman is a deep sleeper so I doubt she will even wake up.” Mato said, making Abigail giggle quietly.
“You have fun with that then.” Abigail giggles.
“I will.” Mato said and walked to the guest room he and his wife are sharing.
“You my love, have fun, the deep freezer is waiting for meat. I have a nice dinner planned for when you get a deer.” Abigail said.
“I will baby, I have a guy feeling we all will get one.” I said.
“Well I look forward to it. Just make sure you all go by hunting law, process the meat, make sure your tags are on you, make sure everything on the tag and hunting dialog is filled out. And all that hunting jazz.” Abigail said.
“We will baby.” I said.
“Oh pens do we have pens.” Kyle asked.
“I have mine.” Dakota said holding his pen up he just pulled out of his pocket.
“Mine is in here.” I said pointing to my pen in my breast pocket. On my hunting vest.
“I know you have yours. I happened to look at it when I asked if we had pens.” Kyle said.
“Ok.” I said.
“Grandpa, you have your pen?” Kyle asked.
“It's in my package.” Mato said.
“Ok mine is in my pocket here.” Kyle said, pulling out of the pocket on his pant leg.
“Ok I have extra in case someone’s pen doesn't work they are in my backpack as well.” Mato said.
“Sounds good.” Dakota said.
“Bye baby I love you, text me when you're awake or if Mikayla wants to talk on the phone “ I said.
“I will, I love you too.” Abigail said as we kissed.
“Have fun guys, remember no killing a pregnant doe or juivil deer.” Abigail said.
“We know ꮣꭴꭼꮦꮾ.” Dakota said.
“Ok, have fun.” Abigail said.
“We will.” We all said. Kyle kissed Abigail’s cheek once more then I Dakota kissed her forehead Mato followed with the same kiss to her forehead then I kissed her lips a few times since I'll be hours without.
“I love you. talk to you soon baby.” I whispered.
“I love you too.” Abigail said then we kissed once more and then we all went to our trucks and left as we all grabbed ok our hunting licenses and tags and all that. That we left on the table by the door. The second we all got to the first blind we hear a blood curdling scream Dakota quickly handed his gun over to Mato and ran to the screaming with his med bag in one hand and emergency pistol in the other. “Who the hell would be screaming, scaring off all the animals.” Kyle asked.
“No clue let's find out.” I said and we all ran in the direction Dakota ran. We followed Dakota’s flashlight as it was waving around like crazy as he ran.
Then the light stopped moving like crazy.
“HURRY UP KYLER WE NEED TO CALL 9-1-1.” I hear Dakota yell.
We ran as fast as we couldn't with our rifles and other stuff we had on us. Once we got to Dakota we saw a person leaning up against a tree with claw marks and bite marks and a dead coyote with a knife in its neck right next to it.
“Shit I'll call someone help him stop the bleeding.” I said as I called 911 and made sure my location was on as it rang and it is thank goodness.
“911 what's your emergency?” I hear.
“Hi this is Kyler Martini, I'm out hunting with some friends. We had just gotten to one of our blinds out of the four of us, when we heard a scream. One of us is a doctor and has his med kit on him. We found a young adult with coyote bite marks and claw marks. The coyote that attacked the young adult is dead with a knife in itm the young adult female looks to be in her early 20's. I'm not sure of our location, but you can trace my phone.” I said.
“Ok sir. I am pulling your location up now and I will contact the local game warden and EMT please stay on the line for me sir.” The woman on the line said.
“Ok.” I said and then the line went quite as expected.
“Kyle, hand me that gause.” Mato said.
“Here grandpa.” Kyle said as he opened the gause.
“Ok sir. A game warden named St. Smith and a few of his co-workers are on their way to your location now. He said to listen for a 4 wheeler multiple of them. Also EMT is on their way. They are about 15 minutes out. Game wardens are closer to you.” the lady said.
“Thank you ma’am.” I said.
“You're welcome sir. How is the female victim?” She asked.
“Dakota, how is she?” I asked.
“She lost quite a bit of blood but she is awake and alert.” Dakota said.
“I heard him sir.” The lady said and I put her on speaker.
“Here Dakota I have the call on speaker so you can talk to the 911 lady.” I said.
“Thank you.” Dakota said.
“Sir, are you still there?” She asked.
“I am I have you on speaker phone so you can also speak to Dakota he is a doctor.” I said.
“Oh ok. Hi Dakota, can you tell me how bad her injuries are?” The lady asked.
“They are deep ma’am I see multiple coyote footprints. I'm gonna say the dead one was in a pack. The rest must have run off when I came near. There is only one coyote dead on scene. The coyotes must have stopped last night to run off but she got him before he could run off.” Dakota said.
“Ok. I'll update game warden St. Smith.” The lady said.
“Sounds good.” Dakota said.
“Miss, do you know your name?” Dakota asked as she shifted his attention to the injured woman.
“Sidney Wilkinson.” she said.
“Hi Sidney, I'm Dakota. Help is on the way. Can you tell me today's date?” Dakota said then asked.
“Hi. Today Is November 26, the first day of rifle and deer season.” Sindey said.
“That's correct. Do you know how old you are?” Dakota asked.
“I'm 24.” She said.
“Ok do you know where you are?” Dakota asked.
“I'm the woods, I was heading to my blind.” She said.
“Ok you seem aware of your surroundings, that's good. Now I'm gonna need you to stay awake for me. Sidney I know it's gonna be hard, but help is on the way to take you to the hospital.” dad Dakota said.
“Kyle, keep her talking son.” Dakota said.
“Hi…..” Kyle could not get a word out when the Sindey fangirled over Kyle.
“Oh my go! Your Kyle Harrison from the Pittsburgh Steelers! I can't believe I'm meeting Kyle! I'm a big fan…. Oh shit I look like hell and I'm meeting my favorite football player who just got drafted straight out of highschool.” Sindey fangirled.
Kyle smiled at her. I can tell this is the first time he met a fan of his.
“That's me, have you ever been to a game before?” Kyle asked.
“I have never been to a live game before.” Sindey said.
“Well once you're healed I'll see what I can do to get you to a game. This is my first time meeting a fan. And I would love for the first fan I have ever met to come to one of my games.” Kyle said.
Just as he said that we hear 4 wheelers in a distance.
“Sir game wardens should be arriving soon.” I hear on the phone.
“We can hear them thank you ma’am.” I said.
“No problem and I hear you have the newest football player with you that has been all over sports news.” She said.
“I do. He is my God son. We are having male bonding time with his grandpa and my girlfriend’s dad.” I said.
“Oh that sounds lovely but it sucks it started off the way it did.” The lady said.
“It does suck but my girlfriend’s dad brought his medicine in case of an emergency and oddly we heard one at his hunting blind.” I said.
“That is very smart thinking on his part he may have just saved this woman's life.” The lady said.
“He may have, she has a long recovery ahead of her.” I said.
“That she does.” The lady said just as we see headlines to multiple for wheelers.
“I see headlines ma’am they sound like they are a few hundred feet from us.” I said.
“I can hear them sir.” The lady said.
“Thank you ma’am for your help. I'm gonna get off the phone now and start picking up what little litter we made trying to help this young lady.” I said.
“Alright you take care now and good luck hunting sir.” The lady said.
“Thank you ma'am, have a good rest of your day.” I said.
“You to bye now” she said.
“Bye.” I said and the line went dead.
I pocketed my phone and got a Walmart bag out of Dakota's backpack and started picking up trash that was laid around us.
Can't have the animals eating too this now can we.
“Hello!” I hear.
“Hello sir. She's right here.” I said and pointed to Sindey.
“Ok. Which one of you is the doctor ditch batch was telling me about.” He said.
“That be me sir. Dr. Price but you can call me Dakota. I'm a native American medicine doctor but I also work in a hospital.” He said.
“Nice to meet you sir. I'm St. Smith from fish and game wildlife. Is the victim alarm?” He said in questioning.
“She is also awake and aware of her surroundings, her name, age, today's date and what season it is. And currently fangirling. We and one of the newest NFL players are with us.” Dakota said.
“Ah I can't believe Kyle Harrison has my phone number!” Sindey said.
“I was gonna ask which one but from the name I just heard I now know. He is an amazing player.” Another game warden said.
“He is actually my god son. He is an amazing football player, has a heart of gold and is willing to help anyone.” I said.
“That's good to hear.” The game warden said.
“Sindey, I'm gonna use your phone to call your parents ok.” Kyle said.
“Oh shoot my dad is out here in his blind. Here use my walkie to reach him.” Sindey said.