Chapter 18

Xu Qingshan and the others were not gentle people. They wolfed down their meals and picked up the food at an astounding speed. Ruan Yimian had just eaten two beans, and the bowl of braised chicken with dried bamboo shoots was half gone. After Huo Aowu sat down, he silently picked up the dishes for Ruan Yimian before he could eat for himself.

Ruan Yimian looked at the bowl full of chicken and pork ribs, feeling warm and a little embarrassed. He carefully picked up a piece of ribs and put it in Huo Aowu's bowl: "Brother Huo, you can eat it too."

Huo Aowu nodded. Xu Qingshan and others winked at him and Ruan Yimian. After being glared at by him, they bowed their heads to eat.

Ruan Yimian blushed and gnawed on the ribs, pretending not to notice their actions.

After dinner, everyone went back to work. Ruan Yimian cooked a large pot of crude tea, and each of them filled a pot.

After helping Aunt Zhang clean up the kitchen, Ruan Yimian went home by himself. There's nothing he can do to help here, and Aunt Zhang won't let him do hard work like carrying water and cutting firewood.

Although there is no rush to do Rouge, since I have nothing to do, I can still start preparations earlier.

When Ruan Dexian arrived home, Lu Caimei was cutting cotton cloth to make rouge. There were two screens of pomegranate flowers drying in the main room. There were still water drops on the petals, as if they had just been washed.

Ruan Yimian was a little surprised: "Mom, did you receive the pomegranate flowers so quickly?"

"Yes, that's all. They have been picking them on the mountain every day for the past two days. There are not many flowers left on the mountain now. Fortunately, you came up with the idea to ask them to collect them. Otherwise, we would have run out of money if we went to the mountain to pick them ourselves."

Lu Caimei talked enthusiastically to her son while threading the needle.

"When I went over this morning, they had already gone up the mountain. I had to go to the mountain to find someone. They were very happy when they heard that our family wanted to pay for it. They said that it didn't cost ten cents, but eight cents per basket. Let's, I won't accept those scoundrels like Cao Chunfeng, they are still not happy!"

Ruan Yimian and his parents had discussed which families to collect pomegranate flowers from and how much money to pay them last night. Today, when Lu Caimei went up the mountain, they would only collect the pomegranate flowers from those whose families were really in need.

But this basket of pomegranate flowers can be exchanged for ten cents, which is really tempting. The man in the prime of life in the village went out to work hard for a day and only paid forty or fifty cents! Those people were rushing to grab this profitable business. They didn't even bother to ask Lu Caimei what she was doing with the pomegranate flowers, and started lowering the price on their own.

The family conditions of those people who were good friends with Cao Chunfeng were not very good, otherwise they would not be shy about flattering Cao Chunfeng. This time, in order to earn the ten cents, they talked softly to Lu Caimei again, but Lu Caimei was determined not to accept them, and they would not let go no matter what they said. They felt unhappy and began to say sarcastic words. .

But this time, Lu Caimei didn't even need to speak. Those who wanted to sell pomegranate flowers came forward and scolded those people bloody.

Lu Caimei was a bit amused when she talked about this: "Those bastards were scolded until their ears started to bleed, and they will probably work with Cao Chunfeng to arrange for us again!"

There are a lot of gossips about him in the village. When Ruan Yimian was young, he would cry quietly because he was called "Sick Yangzi", but now he doesn't care much about it anymore.

"Then let them be."

Now that the pomegranate flowers have been taken back, he can start making the rouge and rouge cream after his father buys all the raw materials.

Ruan Yimian also took out a pair of scissors and cut cotton cloth with his mother. Originally, there was only one pair of scissors at home, but this new pair was bought by Ruan Yiquan in exchange for rice after selling Mian Rouge.

*

The next day, Ruan Yimian went to Aunt Zhang's house to help as usual in the morning, and started making rouge cream when she came back in the afternoon.

Rouge is simple to make, just leave it to his mother. Rouge paste uses expensive materials and is a bit more complicated to make, so Ruan Yimian spent all his energy on it.

Add comfrey or mashed pomegranate flowers to the osmanthus oil, hold it in an earthen pot, steam it on a small stove over a warm fire and separate it from the water. Stir while cooking to bring out the color of the flowers and plants.

After cooking, wait for the liquid to cool down, then filter out the residue with gauze.

The filtered liquid is added to beeswax and alum, steamed over low heat for a quarter of an hour, and then poured into a wooden box while hot. After cooling and solidifying, it becomes rouge paste.

There are some differences in the color of the rouge made from comfrey and pomegranate flowers. The color of rouge made from comfrey is more red, while the color of pomegranate flower is lighter. Both rouge creams have a hint of osmanthus oil fragrance, which not only enhances the complexion, but also moisturizes the face and lips.

Ruan Yimian planted an osmanthus tree at home, and there were still some osmanthus trees picked last year. If you have enough time, you can also make homemade osmanthus oil from osmanthus. However, it takes about ten days to make oil from dried flowers. It doesn't take that long to make oil from fresh osmanthus. However, you can't buy fresh osmanthus right now, so you have to use bought osmanthus oil first.

In addition to this colored rouge cream, Ruan Yimian also made another colorless balm without adding comfrey and pomegranate flowers.

This balm contains more dried osmanthus flowers and osmanthus oil. Its fragrance is stronger than the other two rouges, and its texture is more moist.

I originally wanted to make them for my mother to use on her hands and face, but I thought the grocery store might accept them, so I made a few more boxes.

There are ten boxes of each of the three ointments, which is only thirty boxes in total, but Ruan Yimian worked on it for nearly two days.

Ordinarily, making rouge is not a tiring job, but Ruan Yimian is weak and easily tired. Just crushing those petals made him very tired.

While pounding flowers, Ruan Yimian thought of Lin Qiu again. Lin Qiu treated him well. These rouge recipes were the Lin family's money-making business and were very precious, but he gave them to him without reservation.

He carefully explained to Ruan Yimian several times what state the petals should be pounded into, what heat to use when cooking, and how long to cook.

I don't know if Lin Qiu is living well in the Jiang family now. Is the money from selling Rouge enough for him to buy some food he likes?

Ruan Yimian regretted that Jiang Qingyao was so stiff. He hadn't thought of a way to save Lin Qiu yet, so he could only save more money and try to buy Lin Qiu back when he was sold.

But now that he and Jiang Qingyao have broken off their engagement, he has no way to contact Lin Qiu. If Lin Qiu is sold in advance, he will not be able to receive news here. If something happened to Lin Qiu because of this, he would really regret it for the rest of his life.

On the fifteenth day of every month, Lin Qiu would ask the son of the servant girl to go to the rouge shop in the county to sell rouge. Ruan Yimian was a little hesitant about whether to go to the rouge shop to guard it. When he saw the young man, he asked him to help send a message to Lin Qiu. Autumn.

But Lin Qiu didn't know him yet, so how could he gain Lin Qiu's trust and let him seek help from him?

Ruan Yimian was lying in bed at night, still worried about this matter in his heart, but he thought hard about it in the middle of the night and couldn't come up with any good ideas.

Unexpectedly, within a few days, things would turn around.