[23] Unfair despair

Lisanna's POV

"More drinks!" Cana playfully shouted and the crowd vibes with her.

We are currently still at the party, I'm with the girls in the yard and left Natsu alone inside, he is totally annoying me right now. 

I am happy for the results of the game but the pain my in my chest keeps bothering me, it's alarming how rumors spread these days.

Not that they are true, but because its what they see.

Natsu, the perfect captain and theres Lucy, the beautiful cheerleader.

My boyfriend... and my friend.

People say they will start dating anytime now, but that's not true... right?

They only see Natsu and Lucy together often because they were in the same space, the cheering squad practiced in the gym as well, and they had more opportunity to be together.

Just thinking about it makes my heart ache. 

But if indeed they like each other, then doesn't that make me on the way of love?

My thoughts keep spiraling and I keep thinking maybe it was better if I didn't return here.

Maybe things were different, maybe they would actually be dating now or maybe I shouldnt have left in the first place, then I would be that girl for him... if only I was not sick.

The shame and guild of my own thoughts is eating me up.

"Lis?" a voice tore my away from my thoughts, "Lis, are you okay? you look pale?" Levy said gently rubbing my shoulders.

I must've looked stupid. I should've seen it before it got this messy.

"Yeah. Im all good, I just forgot my meds at home, maybe I should go.." I said and collected my things as fast as I could.

Levy tried to stop me, but tears started flow as realization dawned at me, Natsu was just too nice to break my already fragile heart, and Lucy was too pure to even make an obvious move on him.

And meanwhile, I was the shellfish one for thinking nothing would change.

I'm sorry Natsu...

"LIS! HELP PLEASE!" I heared Levy scream as she tried to catch my fall, my heart was pounding hard and my vision darkened.

.

.

.

.

Lucy's POV

"So, you do love sweets," Sting said while watching me enjoy my ice cream cup, it's one of the house specials made by Gray's sister since he just won the championship, I felt my cheeks heat up as I realize he has been watching me do a little celebratory dance while eating.

"Yes, its to obvious right heheh, its cause I miss this place too... the girls and I used to visit this store before I join the cheering squad," I explained while putting down the cup on the table, "Enjoy your ice cream don't mind me here," he said placing his hands under his chin and rested elbows at the table.

"I meant to ask, why make an effort to give me flowers and take me out, I appreciate it really, but I'm not the right girl if your aiming to distract Natsu earlier, as you can see it didn't work," I really don't want to make it awkward, but there is no point dawdling about this topic. 

He smirked and looked at me in the eyes, "Well, maybe youre not the girlfriend, but it was so much fun watching the salamander loose focus like that."

"To tell you honestly, Natsu and I are neighbors, that makes us friends since childhood," I was shocked and I guess it was evident in my face as he started laughing at me.

"Yeah, we learned basketball together from his brother Zeref, so its not like I don't know who Natsu is dating right now, we just really get competitive on the court but we've got deeper connection than just of the ball game," he said.

"Still it does not make it reason enough to use me instead of Lisanna," I asked again, more confused.

"You see, the Dragneel's have a history, they are always stuck in their first love until their true love comes along, take Big Bro Zeref's case, growing up he wanted politics so bad, we cannot play basketball if he is not the "captain" hence the leader, but their parents once took him to a volunteer health center and he fell in love with serving people instead, it took time but he found what he was destined to do in life," he paused to drink from his iced coffee.

"And now, you know Lisanna has been Natsu's first love, there is nothing in the world he wouldn't do for her, but I know that we both know that is not how love is supposed to work."

He took another pause again, giving me enough time to process what he is explaining.

"Natsu's love for her is more like blind loyalty, he a few months ago before the competition, I registered our team for the grand school games, I reached out for him first, I called him and said I couldn't wait to play with him again on the court, but he said he might not make it to the games because Lisanna's back."

I know this much that Natsu was almost kicked out as the team captain so this part wasn't as much as shocking to me, "Thankfully our friends in fairy high was able to convince him to go back to training," I shared.

He nod before continuing, "So I went to visit fairy high a few times, I wanted to see if Lisanna is actually causing him more harm than good as an influence, but I caught him getting more interested with something else completely... I don't want to interfere this much but some things need to be done you know," he said and winked at me.

I didnt want to assume it was me and I didnt have the heart to ask, so I just continued to focus on my ice cream, "Even tho, Natsu's personal relationship is his to worry about, you're a good friend for trying to look out for him," I said.

"And you're are great girl, honestly, If I met you first I wont back out easily but since you called me a "good friend" I'll give you a tip instead," he said and leaned closer to me.

"Be a little more patient with Natsu, and the way I see it he is close to figuring things out. Just give is a little more time and you'll be happy."

He leaned back on the chair and started shaking the ice on his coffee, "by the way, do you want more sweets?" his mood suddenly changed and pointed out to the donuts and cakes on display.

"I'd order some for us, I'll be back," he said dragging his wallet with him, I watch him as he looked genuinely into choosing some random sweets on the rack, I checked on my phone and since there was an afterparty our cheer dance group chats were filled with photos, some of them even said they missed me and wished I was at the party instead.

I clicked on the squads group chat and instead of more photos it says,

Erza: We're heading to Magnolia Medical Hospital, I already called Mira we will meet up in there

Cana: I got all our stuff and I'm already in the car with Levy, were following the ambulance

Gray: Juvia and I will catch up soon, Juvia is still hysterical, I need her to calm down so we don't cause too much stress for Lis

The messages were sent a few minutes ago, I felt shaken and cold as I try to stitch the meaning of their messages.

what happened to Lisanna?

-

Hello!

Thank you for staying and being patient with my writing process, you are truly a gem.

I promise Sting's words are gonna happen soon and Lisanna will not be harmed in this story HAHA