2

BEOMGYU POV

My mother & aunt always seemed to compare to rivals. Not enemies, but they both certainly enjoyed "one upping" the other. My cousin Soobin & I were close. Soobin & I were probably more considered siblings than cousins. I liked this better than always having to feel like I had to compete with him to gain approval from my mother.

 "범규야, 이제 너의 시간. 준비됐니?" (This is your time, Beomgyu ya. Are you ready ?) Mom asked this as she brought my suitcases to the closet door for me. It was time. I would be attending Caster University for the first time. "I am ready. I am probably one of the most prepared people at the university, Mom."

My mother grinned as she fixed my hair. She seemed nervous. "Are you worried or are you going to tell me to compete with Soobin hyung again ?" She always were on edge when she knew Soobin & I were on the same level. Same with my aunt. They always fought & it was expected that I fight with Soobin as well. "Can you blame me ? This is the first time I won't have you home. I also don't like the idea of you just letting Soobin win."

I know she meant well. She always meant well. I sighed as I waited for the carriage to arrive, "엄마, 제가 원하는 대로 살게 해주셔야 해요. 수빈이 형과 저는 경쟁으로 관계를 망치지 않을 거예요. 알겠어요?" (You need to let me live how I want to, Mom. Soobin hyung and I won't ruin our relationship over competition neither of us want. Understood ?) Mom looked a bit annoyed by this, but said nothing after this. 

It wasn't long before I was in the carriage. The trip was as I expected. It was quick & I barely could take in the scenery. I soon reached my dorm room. I knocked three times before entering. I came to greet my roommate. I took the top bunk on the right side of the room. "Nice to meet you, roomie. I am Beomgyu. Choi Beomgyu." My roommate nervously smiled as he continued unpacking. "Same here. I'm Kai. Huening Kai..."

With a flick of my wrist, I was unpacked. This seemed to amuse my roommate. "How ? How did you do that ?" I smiled as I was now amused. "기본적인 마법을 모르는 마법사? 흥미롭군, 카이야." (A warlock unaware of basic magic ? You are interesting, Kai ya.) Kai flushed a bit embarrassed as I showing him how. It took a few tries, but eventually he got it. "Thank you, Beomgyu hyung." Huh, never had I been called hyung. This actually was cool. "No problem."

I lifted a photo of Kai' to look at it. "Your family ?", asked this as Kai nodded enthusiastically. "Yes, that is my family. Humans..." I gently put his photo down as I finally understood. "Sorry. I shouldn't have judged you for not knowing magic..."

Kai was about to respond when we heard three knocks. A new roommate was entering the room.