22

YEONJUN POV

I was glad to finally be home again. Even if it was alone. There was nothing to worry or fear here. This was my place of peace. Home. The place I have missed after all this time. It felt good to have my own space once again.

This was cut short as the portal that was my closet had a flash of light as someone walked through. "엄마? 여기서 뭐해요?" (Mom ? What are you doing here ?) I asked this very much confused as my mother closed the closet door behind her. "We really need to talk, Yeonjun. You've avoided coming home for far too long. Don't you miss me ?"

This. This was why I left. I always felt like I was being told I was being selfish for wanting things of my own. For wanting to attend the university. "Of course, Mom. Why wouldn't I miss you ?" My mother left a gentle kiss on my forehead as I gestured her to sit. She seemed happy I didn't demand she leave right away.

"당신은 대학에 가본 적이 있죠? 어떻게 된 거죠?" (You've been at the university, yes ? How have things gone there ?) This felt like a loaded question. Especially since she never wanted me to attend in the first place. Which struck me as odd since she attended when she was my age. "It went well. I made a few new friends & learned quite a lot, Mom." I really wonder why she was here when it has been so long...

"Friends ? What are the names of these friends, Yeonjun ?" There was no use in hiding it. "Choi Beomgyu, Kang Taehyun, Choi Soobin, & Huening Kai." She didn't push on this. So I decided to jump ahead figuring my mother was being polite. "네, 엄마 제가 강태현 씨라고 했는데 강태현 씨는 악이 아니에요. 저는 다른 사람들처럼 그 사람을 믿고 있어요. 다른 사람들보다 많지는 않을 거예요." (Yes, Mom. I said Kang. Kang Taehyun isn't evil. I trust him as much as I do the others. If not more than the others.)

I thought she'd be disappointed, but my mother simply caressed my cheek as she smiled. My mother didn't seem worried about Taehyun being my friend at all. Her eyes were filled with concern as I suddenly required her help up from the table. I felt weak & tired.

"Son ? Yeonjun ?", this was the last thing I heard before all went silent as I closed my eyes.