21

(A/N: This chapter is duel POV. It will start with one POV & end in another. Enjoy !)

BEOMGYU POV

I was grateful my uncle was on the one when Soobin & I were dropped off. He spoke with Soobin while I sat by the window. I know they were trying to make me feel better, but it wasn't the same. Soobin at least had his father...

It wasn't long before my mother joined me. "뭐가 신경 쓰이냐, 내 아들?" (What is bothering you, my son ?) I sighed as I figured she'd say something about Soobin. "Why do you like competing with them ? They are family & you're obsessed with being better..." My mother looked out the window as well. 

"I fight with your aunt so much because she ruined my life. The course of my life was derailed by her, Beomgyu. I can't just let that kind of thing go." This was the first I had heard of this. This was also the first time my mother wasn't pressuring me to compete with Soobin. "What exactly did she do that was so horrible, Mom ?"

My mom smiled painfully as she finally explained it to me, "범규야, 너의 이모는 항상 나를 질투했어. 나는 원래 라이트 매직 마녀였는데 이모가 결과를 바꾸었어. 너의 아버지가 먼저 프러포즈를 했고 이모는 삼촌과 결혼식을 급하게 했어. 너의 이모가 진실한 유일한 진정한 업적은 수빈이가 먼저 태어났다는 거야. 너의 아버지가 떠난 후에야 그녀와 경쟁할 필요성이 더 심해졌어. 미안해, 아들아." (Your aunt has always been jealous of me, Beomgyu ya. I was supposed to be a light magic witch and your aunt switched our results. Your father proposed first and your aunt rushed a wedding with your uncle. The only real accomplishment that your aunt has being true was that Soobin was born first. The need to compete with her only got worse after your father left... I am sorry I have been such a burden, son.)

What I asked next was always something I wondered. "Mom, why did Dad leave ?" She seemed to have expected this question, but didn't want to answer me. What was the real reason anyway ? "I don't really have the answer to that, son. Your father leaving has been a complete mystery to me. I wish there was something I could tell you..."

We went quiet for a bit as I yawned. I curled up against my mother before inevitably closing my eyes...

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

SOOBIN POV

I talked with my Dad while I noticed my aunt approach Beomgyu. My mom was nowhere in sight. I assume my mother was scheming on how to turn even this small return home into a complete competition. "Dad, why did you marry mom ?", I asked this genuinely surprised my father hasn't left like Beomgyu' father had. 

My Dad sighed as he answered me with a smile that lit up his face. "간단해요, 수빈아. 난 네 엄마를 사랑해요. 난 항상 네 엄마를 사랑해왔어요. 심지어 엄마의 잘못도 있지만." (It is simple, Soobin ya. I love your mother. I have always been in love with your mother. Even with her faults.) This was expected. I never doubted that my father loved my mother. I just wonder why he stays with how intense everything gets. "I know that... I am just surprised you haven't left yet. Not that I want you to leave, Dad." My father chuckled lightly as we stepped outside to give Beomgyu some privacy with his mother. 

The conversation was now turned into how things have been at the university. "Beomgyu & I have made great friends in our dorm. We room with three other boys. I think you'd like meeting them, Dad." My father looked more relaxed as he could see I had been enjoying myself, "What are their names then ?"

I smiled as I gladly shared. This was the calmest I have probably been in a while. No competition being imposed on me or tasks being completed. I could have a few moments to breathe. "희닝 카이, 최연준, 강태현입니다. 제 친구들입니다, 아빠." (They are Huening Kai, Choi Yeonjun, and Kang Taehyun. Those are my friends, Dad.) My father looked at me in horror as Taehyun' name came from my mouth. I knew Taehyun' father was feared, but I didn't think of how this was affect those outside of our friendship. Especially given that dark magic users are considered to prefer to use others as pawns. 

"강태현? 강수빈아랑 친구가 됐어요? 왜요? 강수빈아가 너한테 무슨 짓을 한 거야, 범규한테 욕을 한 거야?" (Kang Taehyun ? You became friends with a Kang, Soobin ya ? Why ? Has he done something to you or Beomgyu ? Put a curse on you ?) I sighed. I wasn't expecting him to ask so many questions. Let alone for him to be so scared I befriended Taehyun. "He isn't evil, Dad.  Taehyun hasn't done anything to us. He actually is very protective of our dorm."

My dad slowly nodded as what he asked next honestly had me a bit suspicious. "Does his father know ? How did he raise him alone in that cold house if he knows ?" I looked to my father as I pushed further. "What should Taehyun' father know, Dad ? What do you mean ?" 

I didn't get any answers as I slumped against my father. I suddenly was really really tired. I closed my eyes...