5

TAEHYUN POV

I walked into my father' office feeling the warmth of the fireplace surround me. "Father, I am all packed." My father glanced up at me as he smiled. I know he was busy, but he always made sure I didn't feel neglected. "완벽해요. 대학에 갈 준비는 다 된 거죠?" (Perfect. You are all set to go to the university, yes ?)

I nodded as my father went behind his desk & handed a box to me gently. This box was black & ornate as well as beautiful. I could tell this held a lot of value. "A present ? Since when were you so sentimental ?", I asked with a laugh. My father shushed me as he insisted I open my gift. 

I opened the box gasping as I see what was inside. It was my father' magical pen. The first pen he got at Caster University. "이 물건으로 위로를 받았으면 좋겠다고 생각했던 태현야 내 펜이 집을 생각나게 할 거예요." (I wanted you to be comforted with this item, Taehyun ya. My pen should remind you of home when you get overwhelmed.) I hugged my father as I put the pen with my things. I looked at the portrait above the fireplace. It was me & my father. Just the two of us. Like always...

"Do you think Mom thinks about me ?", I asked as I let out a deep sigh. My father smiled painfully as he nodded, "I am sure she does, Taehyun. She gave up her magic & fled to the mortal world... I hope she is thinking about you from time to time." I missed my mother. I still remember the scent of her peony perfume as she fled from the house. I couldn't have been any older than four. Dad has raised me alone since then.

"Are you ready, Taehyun ? This will be your first year at Caster University. A place to truly get to know yourself & the magic you possess...", Dad asked as we wheeled my suitcases to the closet door in the hallway. "I am ready, Dad. We've talked about this countless of times..." My father sighed as he check his watch. "우리가 이 문제에 대해 몇 번 이야기한 적이 있다는 것을 알고 있습니다. 하지만 당신은 내 아들이기 때문에 모두가 당신을 어떻게 바라볼지에 대해 준비가 되어 있습니까? 그런 관심을 가질 의향이 있습니까?" (I know we've talked about this a few times, son. But are you prepared for how everyone will look at you because you are my son ? Are you willing to deal with that kind of attention ?)

I knew this well. My father was well known & considered dangerous even though he has mastered his magic. I have always admired my father, but I can understand why others would want to keep their distance. "I don't have much choice. Either way I want to attend CU, Dad."

Time soon reached 5:53. The closet was opened as a carriage stopped in front of us. The coachman bowed as he greeted us. "Take care of my son, coachman. I want his trip to be...scenic. Can that be done ?" The coachman quickly shook my father' hand as he offered a smile. "That should be no problem, Mr. Kang. Taehyun is actually my last transferee to Caster University today."

I hugged my father once more as I got into the carriage. The coachman did as promised. The ride was much slower than it was supposed to. "I don't mind you rushing, coachman. I am rather excited to attend the university this year." The coachman simply smiled as the carriage picked up the pace. 

It wasn't long before we stopped at the gates & I was given my things. "Is there anything I should look out for ?", I ask the coachman as I was preparing to go through the gates. "Nothing that I know of, Young master Kang. I hope you enjoy your time here." I waved the coachman off as I approached Professor Cho. "May I please have your ticket ?", she asked a bit more formally as I handed it over. I assume she knew of my father , & was being careful how she spoke with me.

My ticket read: T-04. I knew not to look Professor Cho in the face, but I forget why this was a common rule. Did it have something to do with her eyes ? A few seconds went by before the ticket was gone in a puff of smoke & fire.

As I made my way to my dorm room countless other students, as well as  staff stared lightly as I passed. I think all were both in awe & completely terrified that I was attending CU this year. I knocked three times on my dorm door before entering.

The energy in the room seemed to quiet down as my roommates watched me claim the final bed by the window. "다들 무슨 문제 있어요? 그런 식으로 날 쳐다보는 건 그만둬요." (Do you all have a problem ? Stop staring at me like that.) I said this feeling off. Like entering this room completed some kind of energy that I can't describe...