Champagne Supernova

My day took a different turn after lunch than anticipated

My day took a different turn after lunch than anticipated. I didn't care though; I was grateful for any distraction from the weirdness of needing to avoid Lynn's questions and bumping into Adrian at all costs.

Reagan was our class president as well as student council vice-president, so she was tied up prepping for homecoming votes. Mr. McClendon had stopped me in the band hall and asked that I take the drill team's measurements to Mrs. Tandy. She was in the girls' athletic wing meeting with the cheer sponsor, he informed me. Principal Sabella was making them order the drill team's uniforms through the cheerleading program. A sign we had been impressive enough to invest in.

All the band money came from the band booster parents that held fundraisers, and that usually went to instruments and the band trips. Passing us off to the cheer sponsor meant Mrs. Tandy got us some more money. As much as I was going to loath walking into the cheerleader's room, I was proud of the task at hand.

The athletic wing of school was quite amazing. Instead of the high school gym separating the girls' locker room and the boys' on either side, the gym was flush against one wall with an arena of stadium seating upstairs that surrounded the basketball court. The double doors in and out of the gym led to one huge athletic department. It was only the two separate staircases upstairs that gave the illusion that the athletic department was separated into a girls one side and a boys on the other. Walking down the stairs on either side would take you to your destination. The weight room was the only divider. It separated everything in the middle, and simply walking across or passed it, or swinging a left in front of it from the girls' staircase, would lead you to the girls' locker room. There were some small dividers in between, such as cheer P.E., "the cheerleaders" room. It was mostly just for changing their clothes after practice or meetings as everything they did took place on the field or gym floor. Then there were a few coaches' offices and the shop teacher's office in between and further down the hall.

That said, I had never in my experience seen any sort of path crossing to the point I thought it was set up odd or unsafe. The girls' locker room was appropriately spaced away from the guys, and even with the glass walls making the interior of the offices visible throughout the entire area, the locker rooms and the cheer P.E. room were not transparent, and there was never a reason for the coaches to pass by that little carved out girls' section. Of course, we could all see the guys no matter where you stood. They had more rooms, more stuff and bigger locker rooms for football pads. Mapping all of this out still doesn't quite help me understand what I saw, much less experienced, but it is how it happened that Monday.