Friend Is a Four Letter Word

She didn't call

She didn't call. Sure, that next morning I heard from both Reagan and Lynn when they called to play detective and figure out what the heck was put in their drinks. I think they both mentioned something about having to go straight to bed or being afraid they'd wake her parents, or July couldn't wake any one to find my number. Whatever it was... She didn't call.

I waited up. I laid there by the phone hoping it was her voice I would hear before I fell asleep. I was going to ask her about how she knew to get Coach Bartlett and where she was all that time at the party. Did she walk away from me? And what was going on with Devin? Why was she trying to set me up? I just didn't understand the motivation. Did July know or encourage it? Enough.

I felt stupid I had waited on her call as I looked down on my nightstand and saw a crumpled piece of paper ripped from Devin's day planner. It was Natalie Hilliard's number. Devin shoved it in my pocket after introducing us. I knew of her, sure, but Devin did an official introduction, "set- up style". I was certain it was that moment she called her over. I just didn't understand why. Don't get me wrong... I should be reason enough for a varsity cheerleader of caliber to want to stake their claim, if I do say so myself.

In all seriousness, with the whole football situation I was prepared to spend the rest of this semester in exile. I'm not going to lie, it felt good that Devin took an interest in setting me up. It meant I was still on the list and hadn't burned all bridges down, the way I did with my team. It wasn't a list I particularly cared to be on, but it was part of the literal dog-and-pony show here. If you weren't excited about it, they could certainly find ways to make you less excited about something else.

Devin was the worst, although I have to admit she was in rare form at the party. Devin Scott ruled our junior class, and probably a bit more than that, with her being a Scott. Something tragic happened to her end of the Scott family when we were kids. I don't even remember what at this point, but the whole town's been puddy in her hands since. Why they feel the need to make anything up to her or them, I do not know. Her family already had everything.

Devin was always a difficult girl to get to know. She was gorgeous by everyone's standards. A bit of a brunette version of Jennie Garth from 90210. Being as bossy as she was, it did get her what she wanted, but it also made people step back a bit. She had only ever dated upper classmen of extreme status. I think everyone our age was too scared of her. Sometimes she was right, and even seemed a lot more mature than the rest of us. Other times, she was just a supreme bitch. I saw her talk to one of our Jr. High coaches in class once like he was a degenerate. I just sat in my desk staring at the train wreck in awe of how a man like that used to destroying us boys on the field could sit there and take it on the chin from an 8th grade girl who had no business talking back to him. She didn't even get written up.