If It Makes You Happy

"Look, I'm not going to lie and tell you it's okay and you can wait and tell us when you're ready, OR, it didn't hurt our feelings that—" Reagan was really on a tear with her speech until Lynn interrupted to chime in and take her crack at me

"Or never ever tell us which was apparently what you were going to do while we watched it blow up in your face, literally."

Wow. I didn't know Lynn could be that harsh.

"Okay, that was a little harsh." Apparently, Reagan felt the same way. I was grateful she jumped back in. I think I preferred her version of schooling me over Lynn's at that moment. "I am sorry about your chin. Let me see it. How is it healing?" I rolled my eyes away from Reagan's attempt at mothering.

"It's been weeks. You can barely see it anymore."

"We're just hurt, can't you understand that? You didn't come to us and that's really messed up." Lynn was starting to sound more reasonable and like herself.

"I still don't know what went on between you and Adrian, if anything, and I'm afraid that hinders us in getting to the bottom of this Devin thing. Trust me, July. You know I speak from experience when it comes to her." 

It got quiet for a moment as we each mulled over the reality of a prior situation. Reagan luckily had a bit more clout with the administration than Devin did in town. That was a big anomaly within itself, but one brought on by Devin's bossy attitude she had exercised far too many times with authority figures. Let's just say the time Devin and Reagan went head-to-head the pendulum swung Reagan's way in the end, whereas I would not have near enough clout to achieve the same results.

"It's my fault." Lynn broke the silence. "The night before she tripped you Adrian asked me about Natalie. I told him she had a crush on him, not that he'd do anything about it. I basically challenged or shamed him into pursuing her. July, I said that to Adrian having no idea what was going on between you two and the truth is, I still don't! But, you know I saw him grab you in the office. You know I noticed and practically begged you both to enlighten me without coming right out and asking you. Now I have to ask myself why I would push him on her to unwittingly fulfill Devin's fucked up plan."