Hey Jealousy

The next time July and I spoke, it was over Spencer's Lakehouse party she had not invited me to

The next time July and I spoke, it was over Spencer's Lakehouse party she had not invited me to. The issue was that he had invited me and asked me to bring Lynn. I should have known July was on the up and up, and there was always more to the story. I just wish she would have told me. I had no right to accost her over it.

It was a night or two before the infamous party. It wasn't that it would be a big one. It was more that it involved both Prairie and Pure Pines' finest, and a range of high school and college-age kids intermingling. It wasn't during the school year, and it wasn't under the protection of the city pool.

I hadn't expected many Pure Pines people, but I should have gathered as much with it being held at Spencer's Lake House. I guess I just thought of it as more of a guard party. Maybe this was July's thing, and she didn't want anyone else there.

All week leading up to it, I had heard Lynn and Reagan talk about going, yet nothing from July, and no official invite from them either. At that point, I wasn't sure what was assumed about the two of us from their end or ours.

July had worked eight to twelve-hour shifts the days after I surprised her at the pool, and I had slowly started working a few hours at the Country Club to see if my knee could take it. So far, so good. I still hadn't called July, but I knew we were good. It had only been three days or so.

Still, this party thing was driving me nuts. I heard an engine and radio blaring up Lynn's driveway. I looked out my window to see the top open on Lynn's jeep, my two best friends' hair, and July's blowing through the open air. They were all three singing Luniz and Michael Marshall's "I Got 5 On It" so loud I could barely hear the music.

I was glad to see they were having a good time, but I was pissed July hadn't invited me. Why I was behaving like a spoiled child, I couldn't decipher, nor could I seem to put a lid on it.

Surely, she didn't think I wasn't calling, or this was the same situation as before. I thought we covered that in the car that day.

I gave them time to settle in, then headed over to knock at Lynn's. Lynn's dad answered the door. He looked like he was just taking a nap. "Adrain! Thank God. Get in here and set these girls straight. I haven't had a moments peace since they arrived!" He patted me on the back and welcomed me inside, then yawned on his way down toward the opposite end of the house.