Something In The Way

Third period felt like a year

Third period felt like a year. I just needed to see if July was okay and find out what the fuck actually happened. Lynn and Reagan had pulled a disappearing act on me. In their defense, I think they ran after July. The question was, why did she run? I know she saw me standing next to Natalie, but we weren't walking down the aisle for crying out loud. I didn't understand what happened between now and the other night in the rain.

If I had thought about it harder there was a part of me that understood. It was the same push- pull that started that day in the office. Although I couldn't acknowledge it at the time, I was as much to blame if not more than I thought she was. I was the one that made the immediate return of my jacket mean something. Also, the fact she hadn't told Lynn or Reagan. I took it as a sign she rejected what happened between us.

Let's be honest, nothing about my situation with July had been orthodox. Why would this be the deal breaker? Did I make it one by appearing to take Devin up on Natalie? All I knew was there had to be a way to fix it.

Catching up with Reagan and Lynn after the bell finally rang was an act of Congress. I arrived just in time for Reagan to swing her locker door open in front of my face. Lynn just turned to walk away from me.

"Hey! What's going on with you two? I've been trying to get to you all morning. Have you found her yet?"

"Oh, I think we can speak for her when we say you're the last person she wants to see." Reagan was fuming.

"Frankly, you're the last person we want to see right now." Lynn surprised me by seconding the emotion.

"Why, did she say something?" 

"She didn't have to." Lynn whisper shouted at me, looking furious. Reagan grabbed both of our arms and pulled us back toward her open locker.

"Okay, I don't mean to bulldoze over any potential... did they or didn't they like each other and why didn't anybody think it appropriate to mention it to their best fucking friends. But I do need to interrupt to ask what the hell happened to her face?" Reagan stepped into me looking for the answer.

"I don't exactly know. I couldn't get over there fast enough to see before a mob of people surrounded her. I was on the other side of the wall by the lockers when she walked past Devin." I tried to explain what I didn't understand as best I could.