High and Dry

"You swear she's not mentioned Spencer to you?" I was interrogating Reagan for the third time that evening

"I swear. I wasn't even suspicious or onto her in any way. Which either means I'm a shitty friend or—"

"I'm overreacting." I said it for her.

"Careful there. She may think it's a black and white thing if you keep objecting."

"Reagan! How dare you even suggest that? And yes, that's my biggest fucking fear. Since I can't tell her the real truth, she'll dream up the worst of me. I hope you're joking about that even being a remote possibility."

"Well, what is the truth behind your hatred toward Spencer? Did he do something at the pool?" Reagan expected a candid answer.

He hadn't done anything or acted in any way beyond his regular entitled Pure Pines demeanor. He hadn't been that bad to work with, either. I just knew what I saw that day, and I couldn't let Lynn be deceived by a monster.

Lynn had plenty of clout of her own. Elite guys from surrounding schools were begging to take her out, and she was going to waste her time with that piece of shit? He was well into college. What was he even doing back this year?

"God, Reagan, since when did we all start keeping secrets. I mean real ones that could hurt each other. Look at you. Your pager's been going off all night. I know you're making plans with Kane, and what about his bitchy girlfriend? She's no saint Reagan. The stunts we heard she pulled last year—"

"You don't' know anything about it or what I've got going on with Kane."

"Is he coming tonight? At least give me that much."

"Yes."

My heart sank for her, and I shook my head. But I shook it off; I had to. I already had enough beef with Lynn, and then there was my ambiguous now semi-private relationship that my friends had been kind enough not to interrogate me about.

"You know what we need?" A genuine smile took over the tension in my face and spread broadly across my cheeks.

"Do you have to ask?" Reagan pulled a bottle of vodka and two shot glasses from her vanity drawer.