Big Me

I woke up with July's quiz on my chest and everything about her on my mind

I must have dozed off. It was finally dark out. Lynn had to be back from her shift at some point. I had to talk to her. I'd tried Reagan, but she didn't answer. I was sure she had enough on her plate with her mom tonight.

I guess I just really needed Lynn's voice of reason. I was going nuts not being able to walk out the door and make sure everything was still standing and right in the world.

Where was she?

Had she gotten back from that damn lifeguard thing, and what was she thinking?!

Was she thinking about what happened? I had to know; I wanted to see her. I wanted to ask her. I wanted to tell her that I ... That I what? Holy shit! I wanted her.

Whether I was truly coming to terms with it at that moment or not, I had never been so absorbed with anyone. Ever. So... I chose to ignore her? No, I should tell her that this thing, this recurring thing between us, I just couldn't shake it no matter how hard I tried, and ultimately, I didn't know why I would want to.

What if she thought I crossed the line or forced her to do that? Had I gone too far with her, and now she'd despised me more? This was so bizarre. I'd never been in this position before and wasn't sure what was next.

I saw Lynn's headlights pulling up her drive. I flashed my bedroom lamp multiple times to warn her I was calling. She had a private line in her room. Still, I hated the idea of waking her parents up with aimless rings.

My phone rang before I could dial. It was Lynn.

"Did you get your assignment?!! Did Reagan get it to you before she left with her mom?"

She didn't know, which meant she hadn't stopped by July's or heard from her. She knew nothing of what weighed on my mind, chest, and other places every time I saw July's face in my mind or caught a whiff of her here in my room.

"Yeah, no worries, I got it." I paused on the line for a moment. "Actually... July ended up having to drop it by."

"Oh, thank God! I never heard back from Reagan, and I worried my whole shift that you were just sitting here, unable to study."