Foolish Games

I aced my test! I wasn't sure how or who to celebrate with

I aced my test! I wasn't sure how or who to celebrate with. Did I owe him a thank you? Would he be happy to know I made an "A?" Would Lynn or Reagan tell him? I was so confused. I shouldn't be.

This was his M.O.

However, even though he hadn't called, and we had both fallen back into the dangerous trap of not including Lynn and Reagan in our extracurricular activities, I couldn't help wondering if my test wasn't his grand gesture.

Granted, it wouldn't have been enough. After what that boy put me through, he'd have to beat me over the head with his caveman club and drag me by my hair to his campfire in front of everyone for me to fully understand our status quo had changed.

Still, it had me questioning quite a few moments from our past. The additional things we never discussed were probably more paramount to unravel than the physical moments. Coach Bartlett, when I forced him into that football meeting or when Adrian gave me his jacket, should I have kept it?

The Devin and Natalie of it all, me not saying his name freshman year... and much worse, not visiting after his surgery. Had this been my misinterpretation of things?

No, I had enough confidence to know that he'd find a way to let me know if he wanted me. When someone is truly into you... You aren't left to wonder.

I got dressed and grabbed my tote bag for the pool. I was excited to see everyone. All but one. Spencer, of course. And in terms of holding on to Adrian for the summer or letting him go... My mother always used to say that anybody who would risk losing you didn't want to keep you that bad in the first place.

My mother was full of antidotes and sayings to live by. Things like, "Don't let your left hand know what your right hand is doing," or "Don't tell everything you know, it's unattractive," "It's easier to get a job when you have one," and perhaps the truest of all time... "Men notice you most when you are attracted to someone else or have gotten another's attention—it's as if they smell it on you."

I turned into the city pool parking lot. I had my grandad's truck again and was looking for the best spot to park it, when a spectacularly red GMC truck slid beside me with its passenger window down. It was the tall, green-eyed guy with sandy brown, almost dirty blonde hair. I think his name was Court. "Nice truck."

"Thanks. I like it."

"It's ah' August, right?"

"Yeah, just call me that." I knew he knew my name. He had a friendly but naughty smile.

"I guess I'll see you in there then." He gestured his arm out, signaling the parking lot was my oyster, and he was allowing me to go. "Ladies first." I wasn't sure what came over me, but his banter quickly brought it out.

"I wouldn't have it any other way." I winked and drove past him into the front spot.

**********************

Spencer paced the front of the guard room by Cleta's desk like he owned the place. Everyone was there including Lane who I pulled my chair up next to. The small guard room was well past crowded.

"Although Cleta appreciates your gusto in eagerly signing up to guard the first wave of pool parties listed, she wanted me to remind you rookies that the senior guards have first dibs, even if you put your name down first. I also have to remind you all that we have jurisdiction to move things around a bit depending on how large the party is, and so on. Some parties will simply require a head or two senior guards, and of course, rule of thumb, no two rookies scheduled to guard a party alone. You guys will always be paired with a head or senior guard."

Spencer picked up the clip board and began going through the sign-up sheet. Yikes. I had been so occupied with the trig final, and over analyzing Adrian, that I had forgotten to sign up for any. Great. The rookies would have all the best slots or worse, I'd be paired with them.

The pool parties were private events that took place after hours when the pool was closed. People rented us out for everything from birthdays and church functions to there own version of a night club with diving boards.

They were intimate events for us in that it were just the two guards there working it. Not nine more guards like during regular hours, and no cashier or concession workers up front. It was just you, and one other guard. If something went wrong, you called the cops or the ambulance or Cleta to come. The parties were a lot of fun to work if paired with a guard you could stand being around, if not they were boring or torture.

"I have to apologize right away for these first three or four changes. These are massive parties, and each have a special request or something that has to be delt with, so no rookies on the first three Friday night parties and that one Saturday highlighted. Those of you that signed up already, go ahead and mark that off your calendar, and I need some veteran guards. Show of hands if you're available or interested..."

Almost every qualified hand popped up as the rookies sulked.

"July. I don't see you down for many just yet. I know Pure Pines got out a little later than Prairie with finals, so you may not have been around to sign up. Let's get you on some of these."

What? Why was he being so nice to me?

When the clip board came my way for me to sign by the one's I was scheduled, he had me down for three of the four.
"Cleta wants a head guard on the majority of those as well. I've got a few and Stacey is on the others, but I still need those we just redid." Spencer moved on as if he hadn't just given me all the parties in front of the other's who raised their hands.

"I'll take them." Court's deep voice was laid back, but enthusiastic as he looked over at me reaching for the clip board. I leaned his way to hand it over and watched him smile as he initialed each party I was on. Okay. That was bold. Wow. Every party I was signed on to for the upcoming month was with Court, Spencer or Stacey. Mostly Court.

Way to be one of them! What was going on here? I wasn't sure what I had done to deserve this, but it was awesome. Maybe Cleta or Stacey vouched for me and told Spencer I was a good worker. Weird. Or, maybe he's being nice because he knows I saw him that night at the party. Maybe he remembers and he's trying to get on my good side so I don't bring it up at work. Wow. That got dark fast. Either way you play it... it was going to be an interesting summer.

 it was going to be an interesting summer