Personal Jesus

She didn't pick me

She didn't pick me. She didn't say my name. That's all I remember from that moment our freshman year. That, and... well, that ass. I was walking down the hall from an early dismissal. Like a massive dork, I didn't want to go home. I was too excited about the game, so I thought I'd head to the athletic room and focus. When I saw the painted sign surrounding, forgive me again, the most incredible ass I'd seen. I assumed it was Devin or maybe Brooke... no, it was Devin's ass.

To my surprise a much prettier, familiar face peeked out from underneath it. I don't know what came over me after that. It was just some stolen moment. She was familiar, she even smelled like something I'd always known but better. I was standing so close I could smell her hair. Her dark brown eyelashes fluttered up at me. It was like seeing a deer slow and stop in front of your car instead of darting out in front of you and ruining everything. It insists you watch it cross in front of you, gifting you this suspension in time that no one else is on the highway.

I saw that once. My headlights across a deer's face making their eyes dance back at me. It was the night I was driving my dad's car for the first time, with permission, but it was technically illegal to do on my own with just a learner's permit. It was so strange, not just the feeling that I could have hit it by mistake and ruined the car had this gone any other way, but that it walked out and dared me not to. It was the one in complete control of two lanes.

July was someone I'd known all my life, but she was showing me who she was for the first time. I don't know, I guess I thought she would always be who she was in sixth grade or something like that. She was daring me not to watch her, and I liked it. To say she surprised me, or I was taken aback by her that day, was an understatement.

We joked about the stupid run through sign. I made her get paint on herself. It was childish, goofy and stupid, but sexy as hell. It was new territory that she and I embarked on that day. We were flirting. We had never done that before... not like that.

That night I was so excited about the game. I just felt something in the air. I watched from a distance as the cheerleaders began hoisting our sign up. There was a comical "N" worked in to where it was left out and an arrow drawn from it to where our paint smudge had been on what used to be a flag I think, instead it was a colossal bull's eye. I laughed out loud. I knew it was for me. Somehow, she had not only corrected the spelling error on the sign, but she had found our joke, and made one up to make it make since out of the sign that didn't. I was fueled with excitement the rest of the game. I guess I was... giddy. So strange how something so small can make all the difference in the world.