Night Swimming

Okay

Okay. Enough. What was I doing? What was I thinking? I wasn't... that's what it was. I did not hunt her down for... that. I was just messing around with the guys. Even when I saw it was July who Billie asked me to chase after, I still didn't consider past the fun of it. If anything, I had a flash of hope when I began running after her that this could get us back to the innocent, playful banter we always had on debate team. Anything but silence. Ignoring her was killing me. Clearly.

I'm not sure what happened when I grabbed her like that. Maybe it was how close we were standing. Her face inches from mine. Maybe it was the way I restrained her. It truly was originally meant for sport. But then I felt her soft, determined hand twisting in mine, while I raised her other arm above her head, holding her captive by her wrist. How barbaric of me... that must be what did it. That or her scent. God, did I literally drink her in.

Maybe it was when she went still, and I physically felt when she realized it was me. I didn't even really know her, not that way, but somehow it felt like I knew everything about her. Somehow standing above her, watching her catch her breath while I inhaled the scent of her hair, I was reminded of what I had been missing ever since that night in the rain.

Okay, so I knew some part of me had it bad for her, especially since said kiss, but that was just hormone stuff, right? Again, I kept going back to the fact that she wasn't really my type. It's not like I picked her out intentionally. And even so... I wasn't supposed to lose my mind over her. The fact remained I was having a very hard time being around her without being with her... And in ways I'd be embarrassed to admit to myself even.

She must have thought I was insane! Why didn't she say anything? Why didn't I say anything? That's just it. There were no words to describe it. It was just me proving my insanity. However, she wasn't completely immune to it. Every part of her body felt warm and inviting, even when she froze on me, she never completely went stiff or closed herself off. I saw goosebumps rise over her at my touch and I couldn't ignore her heart beating wildly on my chest. It did something to me I can't explain.

Her breath grew unsteady when she worried I might kiss her, and she most likely would have turned away to be respectful, but she didn't have to. It was if she trusted I would only go so far. That's what made it so intense. She was daring me to cross a line by knowing I wouldn't, and it made me crazy for her.