Losing My Religion Part 1

It was finally Friday

It was finally Friday. I had managed to dodge everyone I needed to. Lynn had an insane chem quiz as well as relatives visiting from out of town. Reagan was taxed with Student Council and Honor Society, and we were all trying to get it handled before the party of the year. The Tomlin Twin party was finally happening this Saturday.

I hadn't seen Adrian since I led coach Bartlett to where he could see him that day. That is other than glances in the hallway which I made every effort to avoid. I didn't have to worry about lunch because fall golf had picked up. I had to do Bio 2 lab during lunch just to make it on time to practice all this week for tournament prep. Things would all settle down once debate started. Who was I kidding? They'd get a hell of a lot busier, but at least I wouldn't be alternating a bio lab with everything else on my plate.

Adrian worked at the Pure Pines Country Club attached to the golf course. He waited tables some summers at the Nineteenth Hole, an upscale bar and restaurant but still casual enough for golfers to lunch or have a highball in their golf cleats. Lynn had mentioned he was picking up a few shifts there since he dropped football. She said he'd probably be working up until debate and track started. I had steered clear of the golf course's only restaurant all week to keep from bumping into him. How do you go from never thinking of a person and not caring what you say to occupying your mind with avoiding having to speak to them again?

Suddenly, Adrian and I had nothing whatsoever to say to each other when there was a risk of walking past or being in the same room together. Yet, there was so much more to say than there ever had been. Even though I was grateful for being busy and not coming head-to-head with this, whatever this was, I still couldn't seem to shake it. The moral support-groping in the office that day, and me coming to his rescue with the coaches seemed to have all died down with no explanation. I didn't ask him for one after grabbing me that day, and he didn't ask me for one for involving Coach Bartlett.

I truly was glad it just went away, but I was not happy about the residue it left. The constant thinking about him or wondering where he was or what he was thinking. I felt like I was in junior high all over again. What was the matter with me? I was a junior in high school now and had never had a boyfriend. I laughed to myself. That's what this was. He stepped close to me, and I smelled him... it's human nature.