Chapter XXIV

'Know Thy Enemy'
Episode 17, season 2
|Part I|

•°•○•°◇°•○•°•°•○•°◇°•○•°•°•○•°◇°•○•°•

Salvatore Boarding House.................

"Isobel just showed up at their front doorstep.", Stefan explains to us as we walk down the stairs. He had pulled Damon and I out of bed, saying something has happened. Which of course it has. The moment I got some time for myself, started to relax and enjoy the quiet, something has to mess it up.

"What's she doing here?", Damon asks, annoyance lacing his voice.

"I don't know. That's what I'm gonna go find out.", Stefan says with a sigh.

"Do you think it has anything to do with Klaus?", I ask a bit hesistant. I don't know why that thought came to me, but with everything going on it wasn't the craziest idea.

A heavy silence follows, neither of them knowing how to answer me.

"I don't think that you should tell her that I'm here.", Katherine suddenly appears, filling the silence.

Stefan stops walking, turning to her with furrowed brows. "What? Why?", he questions.

"It's better if she and John not know that I stayed in town after I got out of the tomb.", Katherine vaguely explains.

Damon scoffs. "You're the one in cahoots with them. You made a deal with John that almost got me killed."

Katherine rolls her eyes. "I did what I had to get out of the tomb. Now I'm reconsidering my alliance." She turns around, ready to walk away but Stefan interrupts her.

"What do you know?" Katherine stops, a smirk growing on her lips before she let it fall as she turns back.

"I know that I want Klaus dead, which puts me squarely on team you. Besides, if you two ever need me to swap places with Elena again, the less people know that I'm here, the better. Think about it, Stefan. Come on. Be smart."

Stefan silently stares at her for a second. "Tell you what. Why don't you, uh...Call Alaric and let him know that his wife just showed up on his girlfriend's doorstep." He gives us one last look and leaves.

"So, who is going to call?", I ask, looking between the two. "Because I sure as hell am not having that conversation."

•••••••••

Gilbert Residence.........

The doorbell rings at the Gilbert Residence, filling the tense silence. Elena quickly opens the door.

"Hey. Is she up yet?", Ric asks, his voice laced with concern as he walks in.

"She won't come out of her room.", Elena sighs. "Faye has come by earlier and is now with her.", she continues, glancing up the stairs.

"What'd you tell her?", Ric asks, following her eyes.

Elena shakes her head. "Nothing. She won't talk to me.", a sad sigh falls off her lips.