Chapter 28 - The Consequences

Birds chirped beside Karls ear, his whole body ached as he stared up at the sky, he pleaded that the paralysis plaguing his muscles was only temporary. He had been weakened due to Dream's abuse, and it always took a lot out of him to create a portal through time.

Not to mention the blast could have something to do with it as well. He forced his body to move, pushing himself up he found himself in an abandoned warehouse, he had no clue how long he had been out for.

The sky overhead was dark, and the roof was blown out, he was no longer in the center of the city. He was somewhere on its outskirts, a place also known as the 'Badlands'; it was run and thoroughly defended by a small group of heroes and villains.

The most notable three were Devil, Diamond, and Feline; they were there on the raid on Dream's base. Though Karl doubted they would remember anything as the man had succeeded in changing time.

Looking around, Karl found he wasn't alone. Phil, Techno, and Wilbur were slumped against a wall, most likely from where the blast hit them. And the vigilante Phoenix was on the ground, he was warm, but breathing too slowly.

Karl jerked his hand back as Phoenix shot up into a sitting position, yelling Tommy's name. This prompted Wilbur to wearily open his eyes, he looked exhausted. Sure no one had gotten much sleep due to Dream's disappearance, but he hadn't expected it to take such a toll on others.

Karl felt guilty, he tried to get out of Dream's range so he couldn't force his power, but he just wasn't fast enough. Now all the people of Pogtopia were under Dream's every whim.

The villainous hero had control over Karl's ability, which meant he needed to stay far away and hidden. He would be completely useless, which didn't help much in the whole of his guilt.

If he had just been quicker.. he thought back to when Sapnap would always comfort him. 'It's not your fault what happens in the future, and if it is it's a mistake that you can fix' he would say.

Karl usually felt happy when he heard him say that, he kind of missed it, but he couldn't stay there, not after knowing what Dream had done. Especially when he knew what he was planning to do to Tommy.

If Dream so happened to decide that Tommy was unworthy, like he had decided with Mega... Karl couldn't let it happen again. He wouldn't let that evil man claim another young life. Even if he must take Tommy's place, he wasn't going to let him die.

Wilbur forced himself up, using the wall to stabilize his aching body. He let out a low groan of pain as he collapsed again. Phoenix tried to keep him up, but the extra weight of the man that was almost a foot taller than he was, and weighed a lot more than the small avian threw him off balance.

Both toppled to the ground, Wilbur's weight pinning the small blonde to the floor. The avian slowly pushed the injured man off of him, and began to look over his body for wounds and injuries.

They didn't have Ponk to heal them, so they had no choice but to make due with what they have now.

The world around Karl was wrong, it felt wrong, but looked the same. Dream, he had succeeded in changing the past. But it was all nothing more than a veil, with enough convincing, a person's hidden memories could be recovered.

He doubted Dream was having fun with the consequences of his own actions, he wasn't used to losing his memories. And since the power wasn't his own, the backlash was multiplied by a great margin.

In changing the past, Dream had put himself back on top in the present. He wondered if George was still technically the top hero, even though Clay had changed the timeline.

The interference of the corrupt hero's changes would slowly taint his mind, eventually he was going to lose the majority of his memories. Who knows maybe it would drive him mad, being unable to remember things from moments before.