Chapter 5

Mr.Kingston' office

     Julie tried to pull a determined face. She entered his office after knocking.The storm inside her mind is making her lose balance, but showing weakness is not going to help her today.She greeted her boss and waited for his reply. After about half a minute, he gave her a file, her fingers started shaking, knowing her termination letter is being served to her but the least she expected was some explanation before firing her. Still her mind kept telling that her boss is not an inconsiderate man. Contradicting thoughts were running inside her mind.

     Seeing her zoned out form, Henry called out, "Ms July, please sit down, read this project proposal and give your opinion".She looked at him as if he has grown two horns. He snapped in front of her and gestured her to read.She cleared her thoughts and started reading the file.She could still not come in terms with the situation as she was so confident that she will be fired that day. She could not focus on the file. She just needed a moment away from his scorching gaze so she could get back to the business.

     Looks like her prayers has been answered, Henry's phone ringed, he picked up the call and walked away.She just breathed a sigh of relief. So I'm not losing this job today, thank God! now he has summoned me for some business, I need to prove him that I am worthy of this job, as the past few days I have been self-loathing about being pictured as inadequate and incompetent employee, also failed to clear the misunderstanding. Now after all the chaos, the boss still conferred this project to me, which shows the magnanimity of the boss.One thing I learnt today is all of his accolades are no joke, getting to this respectable position at this young age, definitely need a superficial vision to understand the minds of people and situations ahead. He must be well aware of the outcomes of his actions, multiple consequences of his decision, humongous responsibilities, so much more would be running in his mind. If he has given me this project file to read and give my opinion, all I need to do is just do what he says.

     I have started making notes of some key points to mention, about 15 minutes later he came back to his seat and waited for me to talk about the project, "Mr Kingston, the project is not viable".He's definitely surprised at my one line, raising his eyebrows said, "why so?", "The project cost is extremely high and reading the outline of this project looks like the Kingston does not deserve to be involved in this mundane project".

     Henry replied "but it is a close tender and only limited companies have been sent invitation to participate by the government. On a courtesy note, Kingston tender should definitely be in the draw. Why don't you prepare a basic budget plan and fund allocation for this convention Centre project?".

     " Mr. Kingston, if we are proposing a budget and participating in the tender, then we are doing it as a standalone tender." "You just said it's not viable" "of course, I don't go back on my words Mr Kingston, with the project report that I analysed, it has very meagre particulars to decide, if we get better insights, we can work on various attributes to make it viable". "Well how do you plan to get good idea of this project?"he asked.

     "Sir, shall we visit the site along with other technical persons?" Henry asked, "Who do you think you need?" "A structural engineer, architect and a realtor for now" he called Miss Jay and given names to get ready for the on-site visit.Julie was happy knowing Mr Smith would join them too,as it would make her comfortable to work around known people. She still feels that she is not experienced for this project but with Mr.Smith' guidance she could do a better job, maybe thats the reason Mr.Kingston has brought him too. She took the project file, her notes and followed him.They all boarded the company vehicle and reached the site. Mr Kingston also reached the site in his Maybach Exelero.

     They walked along the proposed site and discussed the project possibilities.They will have practical difficulties in the site. As there is an ill maintained water body, a dump yard nearby which makes the site really not suitable for this project, the structural cost will also be high due to the water body.

     Henry called out everyone and asked to work out the cost and get ready for the meeting by 4 that evening.Meeting hall was quiet when Mr Smith entered and informed that Mr Kingston would join them little later.Everyone relaxed and started discussing.Julie made note of the figures proposed, she worked out a rough budget and presented it to Mr Smith, Julie could see a disappointment in his face.Mr Smith said "Julie do you think it's your best? I don't think Mr Kingston will be happy too"Julie was taken aback.

     "In all these years, observing Mr Kingston, I would say he gets to the right person in getting certain job done, when he asks you for the budget proposal, he sees the potential in you, which you may not be aware of or rather i would say untapped, you would realise it sooner or later, now about this project think beyond the boundaries, the tender holds the name "The Kingston", understand your responsibility and work on it. Mr Kingston would already have worked the cost in his mind when he gave you this file,now get back to work and come up with the best.

     Mr Smith announced that Mr Kingston has rescheduled this meeting for tomorrow post lunch. You can take each other's numbers and work as a group, this is a prestigious project, on account of Mr Kingstons new honour as "Influential young billionaire" he may also be considered for the post of youth ambassador for promoting new start up business in our country, rather than youths looking for jobs overseas. Thus this project holds utmost importance in bringing laurels to our boss and Kingston corporation, keeping in mind the reputation of the company and gratitude towards our boss who looks after our welfare we need to make an impressive presentation tomorrow.I expect you all to give your optimum for this project.

     Mr.Smith has been associated with the Kingstons since long time, he knew about the company' working culture, Mr.Kingston' expectation & the probable ways to motivate the employees & get the job done.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Note:
*Have anyone noticed that Mr Kingston addressed Juliet as Ms July? Its not a typo;)

*Leave a comment if you like something about this story, that would mean a lot to me.

Spread Love,
SaphyLaw