Chapter 6

Julie along with Chelsea and Noah was discussing the improvements to the proposal.Paul, the structural engineer who came to the site yesterday has also joined them.He is a young and energetic person who has a sound knowledge in construction. Julie finds him easy to approach and have a positive working vibe around him.They all moved to the conference room waiting for Mr Kingston to arrive.Julie is hopeful that Mr. Smith approves her efforts this time, took her file and explained her ideas. Before he could react, Mr Kingston entered and the room suddenly fell silent, to ease the tension, he smiled at everyone from the head of the table.

"So how does the proposal came out? Ms Rozana are you ready?" "Sir, here is the file we have prepared" After few minutes of silent reading, he closed the file with a thud, everyone felt the shock pass through them like current.Julie could feel the colour drain from her face.

"$950 million for this project? the numbers are too big, Paul, how much is the construction cost of Marina Bay Sands in Singapore? Paul replied "sir around $5.7 billion" "and what about world trade centre and Bhuj Khalifa?" "$3.9 billion and $1 .5 billion approximately Sir" now let's analyse these buildings, their construction and purposes. After an hour of discussion, everyone understood Mr Kingston's perspective and expectations.

"This is just a convention Centre project, but with the limited land resource, we are going to construct a notable landmark that attracts global attention. What are the additions you could bring in to make it a happening place?" Julie suggested "sir the water body is going to be a big nuisance to our project,why dont we convert it into a recreational place with water activities like light show, kids boating, kayaking, flyboarding or such similar activities" " We can also think about commercial complex,gaming zones" said Angela from architecture.

"Sir, if we aim at world-class convention centre, it should cater the people across the globe who would be visiting. We can plan for a Cultural center that emphasises & celebrates the local culture, festivals, art museum." Paul added "bringing in foods from different parts of the world would be a great attraction too"

Julie stated, "We can have a Charity Centre to promote all forms of music, art, magic, dance of street performers by providing them a platform to perform & its produce shall go to the performers & charity equally, so that there will be audience who will be willing to watch & donate, also it becomes a happening place". Mr Smith beamed at Julie.

The brainstorming session became more active and Henry aimed at bringing such environment to the meeting, he gave a small smile to Mr Smith, who observed him too.

"Alright, the ideas you have all come up with are commendable, now with already quoted project cost, blend in all the extra amenities". " what?" Everyone said in one voice.Henry held out a laugh. "Sir, it's impossible" Julie expressed her shock.Paul intervened saying, "Sir, we can apply for procuring the dump yard, the barren lands beside the allocated site for the amenities we are planning, but the cost would increase considerably."

"Now Ms Rozana, the costs you have worked are market rates, but this is a government project, you get subsidies, so reduce 10% on it". "Okay, sir" "and about the profit percent slash it to 4% from 15%, "sir how is that even possible?" "Like I said it's a government project, we would get various concessions,tax benefits and royalty fees. We won't work for zero benefits Ms Rozana" he smiled.

Henry gave the other details to work out the project cost.When she finally gave the figures to Henry,it turned out to be $730 million.Everyone was so happy.Henry stood up, "let's wind up today, I appreciate each one of you for your contribution, keep working with great zeal".

Henry took out a form and gave it to Smith saying "Mr Smith fill out this tender form and send it to my office".Mr Smith knew that Mr Kingston will not settle for $730 million. " Mr. Kingston, what is the quotation price?" Everyone in the room stopped doing what they were doing and looked at him in confusion because the meeting was all about the cost of the project and it was just discussed for hours. Their frozen forms has been released with Henry's little louder than usual voice "$650 million" Henry winked at Mr Smith playfully and walked out.

Mr Smith could not contain his smile when he saw everyone's eyes literally popped out hearing the tender price. They have started talking among themselves like bees.Mr Smith called out Julie to his office.

Mr Smith gave out the details and Julie carefully filled the form.He then asked her to take it to the boss for approval.

Julie could not stop herself from asking , "Mr. Smith, like how ? 730 and 650 is not a small difference, it's impossible " Mr. Smith smiled, " It is possible for Kingstons, Julie you must know that Mr Kingston has his ways." He sighed, "Henry is an interesting business man, just like his mother. If you observe him, you cannot stop admiring his working style".He had a warm smile spread across his face thinking about some old memory maybe. Julie realised that beyond "Mr Kingston" it's "Henry" for Mr Smith.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Note:

*Do you find this chapter boring or interesting?
*There are many silent readers, if you like reading this story kindly vote,it gives me more energy to write.

Spread Love,
SaphyLaw