Chapter 22

The newspaper had a photo of Julie on the spotlight standing on the podium. Only her image was visible, making her look so prominent amidst the dark auditorium bearing the headline "Miss Secretary takes charge".

     She read the whole article and still could not believe her eyes. Henry clapped for her, along with him, Smith, Ben and Steve, joined in to congratulate Julie.

     Steve made a quick sweet treat to celebrate Julie's achievement. She was elated and proud to have featured in the newspaper and to save the company's reputation as well. Thinking about how she did the presentation yesterday, she was totally devastated and heartbroken when Sr Kingston fired her. She thought to quit, but she was also worried about the disgrace that she would earn for the company if she did not show up. Mr Kingston had high hopes on her, it would not only affect the company's goodwill but also a big dishonour to Mr Kingston. He believed in me and give me a big responsibility, ruining it would definitely be an insult to him.

     She went totally blank when she stood on the podium, she tried to relax and remember Mr Kingstons words. She recreated the technique that he had told her back in the house. She placed her palms on the podium, closed her eyes, took a deep breath and emptied her mind.

     Doing something in pitch black is easier than on spotlight, your mind will ensure a free flow of performance as it creates an illusion that no one is there to judge. The darkness guided her to commence the presentation, she just held on to it and carried out the entire show successfully.

     The doctor had sent physiotherapists, Henry could see an apparent change in his progress after the massage and exercise. They have made him walk by holding his arms, they have suggested to quit the wheelchair and use surgical walker instead. Henry was mentally relaxed as he was back on his feet.

     The physio session was live streamed to Dr and he advised Henry to keep himself active so that he could walk without aids in no time. Everyone was happy with his progress.

    Smith brought Julie's presentation video, Henry asked to play it. Julie was nervous to watch it along with Mr Kingston. Once it was over, Henry and Smith gave a proud smile.
"How do you rate your performance?" Henry questioned her. "Sir 6 on 10 maybe, there were many flaws"
"I would give 10 on 10" Julie raised her eyebrows and looked at him in shock.  Smith said, "I would give 10 as well, we aren't exaggerating, Julie. You don't see yourself with the same lens as we do. Given your age and experience, being first time on a big platform with no preparation and most importantly, after such a trauma just before the event, no one would have shown up on the first place, giving good performance is beyond expectation.
You should observe the area where you excelled in,
Do you know why Mr Kingston was specific in sending you?" she shook her head.
"To make you realise your self-worth, to understand your strength and determination.
Do you think anyone in your place would have done this after being lashed out and defamed?" Smith explained.
"Look at the way you were glowing with confidence and grace on the stage" Henry pointed to the screen.
"You can unarguably believe when it comes from Mr Kingston himself, never doubt your self-esteem" Smith encouraged her.

      Just then Henry received a video from Ben. He played it on the screen, it was a dark room with dim lights, on the chair it was Lisa, who was sitting with her hands and legs tied tightly. The slap marks on her face was so evident. Senior Kingston had some weird sharp weapon and questioned her, "Who paid you to hurt Henry?
"Sir, please forgive me" she pleaded.
"I don't like to repeat myself" he said in a dangerously low voice, which panicked her even more.
"No one" she said.
"Liar!" he growled and slapped her hard on the face.
"Please believe me, I wanted Henry to fall for me, so I gifted him goodies which would just around his desire and I expected him to reach out for me, knowing that he was single or not seeing anyone currently." She whimpered. "That night at the party, I tried to use the same stuff, but unfortunately I had to leave for work. Next day when I saw that girl with him, I concluded that they had spent the night together with the scratches on their body and those handcuffs added proof to the issue"
"You scoundrel, tried to kill Henry with that stuff how dare you?" He yanked her hair.
"No I was told it was just a party drug arousing your desire to get laid, I like Henry a lot, I never intended to hurt him" she cried.
"Do you think it is a plausible excuse to escape?"
"Sir, please trust me, I just wanted to attract his attention in a different way,thats all"
"What a disgraceful way to woo men, Liam a famished stomach speaks the loudest truth, I will come back in two days, no food, no water"
"Nooo please please trust me"
"You expect mercy for what you have done" He laughed aloud.

     Julie was not as thick-skinned as Sr Kingston, Lisa's scream seems like she was not lying.

     That evening, Ryan came to the penthouse. "Henry, what the shit is happening around you?" Henry and Julie, who were drafting a business agreement in the laptop, looked up at once.
"I was badly missing you, buddy" Henry fake cried.
Julie laughed at his playful antics.
"I was worried and you were joking? you bas.." he stopped mid-sentence looking at Julie.
Her ears turned red, so she scurried up with her laptop and said she would work in the guestroom.

     Henry stopped her, "Juliet, you do not mind this scum bag, he would prattle all day, let's get back to work" she looked at Ryan, who stood there, contemplating his decision to cut ties with his friend. Although he was angry, he looked funny, they both laughed at his expression.
"Am I looking like a dork to you?" Ryan asked.
"Alright, welcome home my friend" Henry punched his shoulder.
Ryan was extremely shocked on seeing the reports and the footage involving Lisa. They were discussing about how Lisa turned out to be the culprit, when Julie gave his medicines and helped him with his compression stockings for better blood flow.
She took her laptop, when Henry said, "You can work here" she smiled and replied, "Sir that's fine, I would sit in the balcony, fresh air, good view you know"(reference chapter 16) Henry chuckled.

     Ryan kept observing them smiling, using soft tones with each other, Henry being comfortable with her proximity.
"When have you started liking company man?
"What do you mean?" Henry asked in confusion.
"Remember, how you don't let anyone on the entire floor in your office building while you were working? Now look at you"
"What?"
"She is in your bedroom, you don't let her out of your sight, You're so whipped man" Ryan smirked.

     ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

*Please let me know in the comments if you feel the connect missing between the chapters while reading in a week's gap as it is an ongoing story. I would add snippets from previous chapter at the beginning to have the connect.