Chapter - 34

"Neil"

They both jumped when they heard a bewildered voice from the side.

Neil looked around and his eyes landed on Julia. He closed his eyes for a moment and then opened up gulping audibly, looking at Julia who was staring at both of them with wide open eyes.

He sighed in relief heavily because he knew he would have been in serious trouble if it had been Myra. His heart was thudding with marathon speed, anticipating the worst.

'What if it was Myra?'

Meera quickly took a look between the two before walking out from the kitchen hurriedly.

Neil raked his fingers through his hair, licking his lips, nervously.

"Do you need anything, Julia?" He asked her, composing himself.

"No. I just came to close off the light. I thought, I missed switching it off" She trailed off, not moving her inquisitive eyes from his face.

"Ohh! Good night." He wished not to be able to match with her soul piercing eyes.

"Good night." she mumbled.

Neil left a deep breath and rubbed his forehead. He walked out, taking stairs he went towards his room but he could feel continuous eyes on his back.

He carefully opened the door. He stepped inside and went towards his son's crib. His son was sleeping peacefully clutching his favourite teddy bear.

He pushed back his son's hair which was falling on his small forehead. He could feel his son's lips stretched with a small smile.

"He needs a haircut."

He felt a soothing soft touch on his back. Myra had wrapped her arms around his waist. Her face was touching his arms, her eyes were fixed on her sleeping son and her lips were stretched with a serene smile.

Neil could not take his eyes from her pious face, but his mind jolted with the recent moment he had with his past.

'Am I betraying her?'

"Neil, he will look so cute with short hair" She was in her own dreamland.

"I will just take a shower." He released himself from her hold.

"At this time?" Myra asked with a crease.

"Yes. Just a little tired." He made his way towards the closet to get a towel.

He took a long shower. Hot water flowing over his body relaxed his earlier turmoil mind.

When he stepped out, he saw his wife was now on bed, resting her back on pillows with a book in her hands. He knew his wife was a total bookworm in her free time.

He slides on the bed but still his wife was engrossed in her reading. He raised his hand to hold her falling hair strand and then shifted it back to her ear. His mere briefe touch of his fingertips over her cheeks broke her concentration.

"Neil"

"It's time to sleep." He spoke softly, taking out the book from her hands. He closed the book and kept it on the night table.

She closed the night lamp on her side of the bed. Neil pulled her in his embrace and she kept her head on his chest. He kept on caressing her hairs till she slept but he... he was wide awake. Thoughts were running in his mind with jet speed. He did not realise when sleep consumed him.

In Meera's room, she was wide awake, her cunning mind could not conclude the recent moments. She could not understand her own restless state of mind. Scenes of Neil and Myra were kept on running in front of her eyes.