ten

***

"Tell me again. Where were you on September 2nd 2012?" Holbrook says, slamming his hands on the metal table before me. He stands, his frustration showing.

"I don't have to tell you anything until my lawyer gets here" I retaliate. Seconds later, I'm eating my words as my father slips into the room and takes the seat next to me.

"Peter Hastings now present at 10:53am" Holbrook says into the recording. He looks at me. "Need I repeat the question?"

"I didn't do anything to Sara Harvey"

"Our witness says otherwise"

"Oh really? So what does your witness say?" I raise my eyebrow.

"That's classified to you" He responds bluntly. "Now answer the damned question"

"At home." I say, memories of the night flashing back to me. Oh god. Maybe I did hurt her. "I watch watching an episode of the Simpsons in my living room" I say cooly. Can he see me lying? This is a good excuse. The Simpsons is always on.

"Can anyone back up your alibi?"

"Everyone was pretty busy out looking for the Rosewood girl who disappeared the night before" I roll my eyes.

"So no?"

"No" I smile innocently yet sarcastically. Obviously not you moron.

"Watch this" He says pointing to a television screen to the left of me. I turn in my seat to see a CCTV video pop up on the screen dated September 2nd at 11:20. It shows a girl who certainly resembles me but isn't me- can't be me- stood talking to a girl with long blonde hair. They stand just metres from each other before the girl who's supposed to be me lifts her arm and swings an object, hitting the opposing girl around the head. As the clock changes to 11:21pm the girl drops to the ground which immediately causes the attacker to look around, bend to the ground and drag the victim out of the frame. The video stops playing. "Any thoughts?"

"How do you suppose a scrawny 13 year old could drag a healthy 16 year old through the woods?" I say sitting back in me seat. I'm not worried by this at all. Okay, maybe just a little bit.

"How do you know she was 16?"

"I obviously did some research on the girl I'm supposed to have murdered" I shrug.

"Well a close friend to Sara has said that she saw you with Sara that night"

"What's her name?" I ask.

"That's irrelevant"

"I deserve to know who's accusing me don't I?"

"Her name is Avery"

"I thought she saw Sara last riding a bike?" I challenge him. He gives me a puzzled look. "What? I'm a thorough researcher?" Okay so I may have hacked into Courtland P.D's database to find that one out but he doesn't need to know that.

"Her statement has changed." Holbrook states. "And frankly, the evidence and the statement is enough for me to arrest you. You may as well tell the truth now. It'll help reduce your time in prison."

"Prison?" My father exclaims. "She was 13 when this crime happened. You can't arrest a 13 year old."

"Mackenzie isn't 13 anymore. A juvenile facility is not an option here- the crime is too severe. She's a danger to people her age."

"I didn't do anything" I plea. I cannot go to jail for this. This has to be some horrible mistake.

"Are you sure about that?" He says pointing to the screen again with the remote in his hand. I don't want to look at whatever surprise Holbrook has in store for me now but I know for sure that I can't stop myself. I turn my head slowly to the screen. The video from before is paused on a moment that I didn't spot before. The attacker is looking straight into the camera on their 360 degree scope out of the location. "Would you like me to zoom in?"

"Go for it" I say confidently but still slightly apprehensively. This really isn't looking good for me. The image quickly zooms in revealing my panic stricken face staring straight back at me. I hear my father gasp in horror as the realisation that that is indeed his little Mackenzie on the screen. I look at him. "I didn't do anything" I whisper, the voice disappearing out of me. "please daddy" I beg. All I need is for him to say he believes me; even if he doesn't I just need this.

"I believe you Kenzie" He says. He doesn't. He only calls me Kenzie when he's ashamed of me.

"So without further-a-do" Holbrook says standing, beaming from ear to ear.

"Can you do this without acting lik eyou're enjoying it?" Dad says sternly.

"I can try but I'm afraid I'm not a very good actor." He smirks. "Mackenzie Hastings, I am arresting you for the disappearance of Sara Harvey and for the murder of Sara Harvey." He says pulling me out of my chair.

"What prison?" My father asks as Holbrook recuffs my hands.

"The woman's correctional facility" Holbrook states.

"Can I have a second with my daughter before you take her away?" Dad pleas. I've never seen him be so unprofessional.

"Fine" Holbrook groans. "You have 2 minutes" He states before leaving the room. My father looks at me, heartbroken.

"Mackenzie" He sighs. "I'm going to do everything I can to get you out of there."

"I know you will dad" I smile sympathetically.

"You're going to be absolutely fine. Just keep your head down and try not to get into any trouble."

"Okay" I say stepping towards him so that he can wrap his arms around me in an awkward Hastings hug.

"Can you do me a favour?" I ask, stepping back to look at him.

"Anything"

"Can you make sure that Mike doesn't come visit me?" I say, sorrow filing my voice. It breaks my heart to have to say this but I don't want him to see me like that.

"Of course"

"Will you make sure Spence comes to see me?" I beg. "And can you tell her exactly what we saw in that video?"

"Why?"

"Please. She'll figure it out." I hope. I hope she gets to the bottom of this because the police have obviously given up on me.

"Okay I'll tell her" He smiles before the door opens once again

"I love you daddy" I say, my voice cracking.

"I love you too Mackenzie" He smiles as I'm dragged out of the room like a criminal. I guess that's what I am now. Innocent until proven guilty. I'm pushed into another police car and driven off to the place where I'll be spending the rest of my life. Kidnapping is a life sentence and manslaughter is yet another life sentence. So I'm pretty much looking at being 66 by the time I get out. I'm going to be a 66 year old virgin. Great.

We pull up outside a massive brick wall. I'm dragged out of the car and pushed through the gate attached to an electrified fence I'm seriously considering throwing myself into it and burning to a crisp. We reach a little office where I'm forced to strip down into my underwear and hand over everything to the man behind the desk. I'm then pushed into another room where I'm body searched and then handed a bright orange jumpsuit to change into. It's surprisingly comfortable for a prison uniform.

I'm then handed over to the prison guards and they lead me down a dark corridor lined with cells filled with angry prisoners. They reach out through the bars and grab at me as I hastily walk to the end of the corridor.

"Fresh meat" I hear one particularly butch inmate say as I stroll past. 'Keep your head down' my father's words repeat in my mind. We reach an empty cell at the end of the corridor. The gate flings open the press of a button and I feel myself being shoved inside. I hear the gate click shut. I sit down on the thin mattress and stare at the wall. Welcome to the rest of my life.

A really did it this time.

A really got me.