thirty

I wake with a start to find that Mike is already wide awake. I move closer to him, resting my head on his shoulder as he wraps an arm around me, stroking my bare arm softly.

"It's okay baby" He whispers as I try to slow my breathing. I was in the pit again, staring into the darkness, lying on the ground completely out of energy. This time A was staring down on me. They were saying something but the words came out all jumbled up and incomprehensible. "You're safe." he assures me.

"Why are you awake?" I ask, staring into the darkness.

"I heard a noise" He admits. I sit up quickly. I turn on the lamp to the side of the bed and look back to Mike who is squinting, trying to adjust to the lighting.

"Where? When?" I say, my body heating up with fear. I climb out of bed and go into the closet, taking out the hockey stick I stole from Spencer the day I got back from the hospital. I grip the handle tightly as I walk to my door.

"Please don't go out there" Mike says standing up.

"I'll be back in a second" I say opening the door.

"Then I'll come with you"

"You're willing to walk through my house in just your boxers?"

"If it's for you then yeah" He responds. "Give me that" He says taking the stick from me and holding my hand in his free hand. We creep downstairs as the noise gets louder. Mike tightens his grip as he steps forwards, holding me behind him. We turn the corner of the stairs to see a figure stood in the kitchen. Mike raises the hockey stick as we get closer.

"Wait" I say, pulling him back. "It's Melissa" Mike looks at me and lowers his weapon. I flick the light switch on to see Melissa sat at the island counter. I walk towards her to see my pregnant sister eating a huge plate of sushi with a giant mug of black coffee next to her.

"Mackenzie, what are you doing awake?" She says, her eyes widening as I study her actions. I look to the clock on the oven. It's 3:34am. Hey, I slept for quite a while. Makes a change.

"I could answer that" I say looking in her mug. "Or I could ask you why you're eating sushi and drinking black coffee at 3:34 am?"

"Pregnancy cravings" Melissa shrugs. "They're a killer"

"Yeah, they are. Especially as these are two of the only foods you can't eat. They're harmful for your baby."

"What?" Melissa says overly shocked. She's supposedly the smart one in this family, I've seen her reading tonnes of books on pregnancy. She had to know that.

"Don't give me that" I narrow my eyes, glaring at her. "You're not pregnant"

"I am" She says defensively.

"Prove it" I raise an eyebrow, challenging her.

"Why should I?"

"Don't start acting like you're not guilty. I know you're lying. You don't want Wren to leave you so you lied." I say stubbornly. Melissa bursts into tears. "You want all the attention."

"Mackenzie, leave it" Mike says grabbing my arm forcefully.

"I had to do something to make people in this town forget about all the stupid stuff you've done." Melissa says as we both ignore Mike. He lets go of my arm and stands behind me, eager to hear what my sister has to say. "You murdered someone. I had to get the Hasting's reputation back."

"I didn't murder anyone."

"Not what the news was saying. Everyone was against you. Even your lover boy over there refused to say he knew you." She smirks. I look at Mike who looks guilty. How could he?