Chapter 26

They say the moment you're closest to death is when you relive you life. All these random images coming racing through your mind of the life you had, of what you're about to lose. The memories, good and bad, they're all there and all you can do is watch and pray that you didn't screw things up so badly that you can never be forgiven. That one single word, forgiveness, that is always heard but never truly understood, is the only word on my mind as I look at the person I once knew. I realize now that I was not the best person. For most of my life I had been selfish and treated others cruelly like they were beneath me. I did what I wanted, when I wanted and never once did I feel the need to change until I lost to a woman much better than me. Yes, I can admit that Maxine was the better woman for Luca. I can admit that she deserved to be luna, she deserved to have him as her mate. I am grateful even that she fought for him, that she did what she had to in order to be with him even if it meant going against me. Not long ago I would have been filled with hate, anger, rage, and jealousy. I would have jumped at the chance to seek vengeance  because for as long as I can remember the title of luna is what I felt I deserved. But not once did I ever show compassion, not once was I willing to sacrifice my life for another, not once did I accept that my actions would not only affect me but an entire pack. That alone tells me I was wrong. All the time I spent trying to become something I wasn't I forgot to take into the account the responsibilities and expectations that come along with such power. A few months ago those things wouldn't have mattered to me. Now they mattered a great deal. That's why I couldn't tell Mitchell that nothing had changed. I couldn't tell him that I was the same girl he once knew. Meeting Dreydon had changed me. I had a mate now and all of the things I thought were impossible were now possible. I saw a future with him, a life where I could be happy. I didn't need to be luna. I needed him. 

"I can't rule by your side. We're not meant to be. We both have mates and you and I both know your plan will never work" he looked at me and I could see the shock written all over his face. He never expected me to turn him down and it almost scared me to think how close he was to being right. 

"What happened to you?" his voice was barely above a whisper but I caught every word. 

"I realized that there is something I want more than being luna" 

"I thought you would understand. You were supposed to understand" he yelled the last part and I could sense he was on the verge of losing it. He looked at me and eyes were pitch black. His chest was rising and falling as his wolf surfaced ready to break free. I kept calm as he moved slowly approaching me. I wasn't afraid although I probably should have been. I tried to remember every training session we had done together as I prepared myself. Being from the same pack had its advantages. I had watched him fight several times and knew his weaknesses. The only problem was he also knew all of mine. 

"I can't let you leave now. Not know that you know who I am. No one knows I'm alive and I plan to keep it that way. I gave you a chance. I offered you everything and you refused me. Now you die like the others. I will have what belongs to me with or without you. I will be alpha" 

He came at me and his claws extended. I dodged him but barely. If I had any chance in the world I would have to shift before he did. Just as I was about to free my wolf and attack I heard screaming. There was chaos and the both of us got distracted. I quickly refocused my attention back to Mitchell but he claws were gone and he was no longer in attack mode. He simply stood there smirking and I couldn't have been more confused. 

"I could kill you now, we both know that. But I have something better in mind. After tonight if you ever see me again you'll be begging to be my luna" with those words he jumped out the five story window and was gone. The door burst open and six guards came in. It seemed as though time sped up as they grabbed me and placed me in silver cuffs.

"What the hell are you doing take these off of me" I ordered. They burned and it was pointless to try and free myself. The dragged me downstairs kicking and screaming. When I reached the bottom my lungs seized up and I couldn't breathe as I took in the sight. Dreydon was in front of my me chained, bloody and unconscious. 

"Dreydon. Dreydon!" I yelled trying to wake him. Any movement or word would have been enough to ease my mind but I got nothing. 

"What did you do to him you bastards" this was supposed to be his pack, his friends and family. Liam walked in and I felt a bit of relief. Dreydon was his beta, he had to do something. 

"Alpha Liam looked what they did to Dreydon. You have to tell him to let him go. You have to get him help" to my surprise he burst out laughing. 

"Let him go? They did this on my orders" I looked at him like he was crazy. He couldn't be serious.

"But why?" 

"Don't play dumb with me you little bitch. This is all your fault. I bet this was your plan all along wasn't it. To take over my pack"

"What are you talking about?"

"You made my own beta fucking betray me and now both of you are going to die"