Chapter 31

Ashley's Pov

"Bitch phone call" I heard one of the guards say. He opened the door and dragged me out. I couldn't imagine who would be calling me or why since I didn't really know anybody. Even if I did I was a prisoner so the chances of them letting anyone talk to me was slim to none.

I was led into a room that was almost empty except for a desk, a chair, and a phone that looked ancient.

"Sit" I rolled my eyes at his lack of manners and took the only seat in the room behind the desk. I picked up the phone and the voice I heard nearly made me drop.

"Tell me everything"

I didn't have to ask who it was. I would know his voice anywhere. It had haunted me from time to time and for a while I was afraid he would find me and demand they return me.

"Luca" I said softly. I wasn't even sure if he heard me.

"I won't ask again" I couldn't tell if he was angry, pissed or worse. His voice sounded calm but I knew better. He hated me for what I put them through and he had every right to. I still couldn't understand why Maxine had shown me so much compassion.

"Mitchell, he's alive," I said finally able to speak.

"You helped him escape?"

"No! I swear. I didn't even know he was alive until recently. You have to believe me. When Maxine helped me escape I never looked back. I've been here with Dreydon this whole time. The killing started and Dreydon was on his trail but he had help. His mate is in this pack. I'm not sure who it is but he's using her. He made me an offer. He said that he could make me a Luna, that he could give me everything I ever wanted. He was after me the whole time. He followed me here. He believes that I'm the only one who has a thirst for power that matches his and together we could take down this pack, and yours"

For a while he didn't speak.The other end was silent as he thought over what I said.

"How do I know you aren't lying? That is what you've always wanted right? To be luna? To be powerful and mated to someone with status who could give you everything? It's the reason you rejected me. It's also the reason you came back for me and put us through hell. So why should I believe that you wouldn't take him up on his offer. You already betrayed my pack once."

He was right. Everything he said was true. The person I was would have done exactly that. I couldn't deny that for most of my life that was all I cared about.

"You're right. You have no reason to trust me. All I can say is that I have changed. The only thing that matters to me now is Dreydon. He's all I care about. He's all I need. It took me finding him to realize nothing else matters. I had to make Liam doubt himself or he would have killed the both of us. If he believes that Dreydon is innocent and I was working with Mitchell all along at least it's only me that dies and Mitchell goes with me. I don't care what happens to me. I just need you to believe that Mitchell is behind this. Help Liam find him and prove Dreydon is innocent. Save both packs and my mate. If you need to believe I'm apart of it fine. You both can try me for treason, just leave Dreydon out of it. He has been nothing but loyal to Liam."

I was done trying to prove my own innocence. I just needed Dreydon safe, he had been through enough. I didn't know if Luca believed me or not but I knew he would do anything to protect Maxine and their children, just like Liam was trying to protect his. Whether or not Dreydon would ever forgive Liam was something I couldn't be sure of. But I wanted him to have a chance to decide. He was a loyal beta and I couldn't have everyone thinking he betrayed a pack he loved so much. He deserved for everyone to know the truth. Deep down I knew that I had made a lot of mistakes and part of me felt I deserved to pay for all the things I've done in the past. But one thing I would never regret is saving my mate.

"I'll help Liam find him." That's all he said before hanging up. I didn't know if he believed me but if they found Mitchell that would be enough. It was all I could hope for.