Chapter 11: Driving a Corvette

Jessica's walking away from Tommy, and even better, broke up with him. I was waiting a ways away, watching the two talk. I can see from his face that he understood; I hoped he did or else we'd have ourselves another fight.

Jessica strides up to me and says, "I told him our relationship was over. Now I'm all yours Davy." She grabs my right hand and holds it. Her skin is so soft, it's so comforting to the touch. I'm surprised no one else has asked out Jessica. Sure she's a nerd, but still! "Soooo, why don't we go on a date?" I suggest. "Sounds perfect." She answers. I smile and start walking towards her car. Before I'm a yard away from the corvette, Jessica asks, "Would you like to drive David? I know how much you like my car." She wants me to drive? But ...

"I can't, I'm only fifteen. I don't have my drivers license, only my permit." I argue. "Come on David, you've had to of driven by yourself before?" "But that was only once or twice!" I said. "But I'm with you. I have my drivers licence." And she pulls out a card from her purse. It's her driver's licence, with a picture of her that makes her look emotionless. "That picture is attractive." I joke. "Hey, they took the picture, not me! If I took my own picture, I would look fabulous!" She says, flipping her hair back. "Ok then .... I'll drive." I give in. She smiles an let's go of our connection. We get into the car. Ok look, I'm not scared of driving a car. Just the thought of crashing or something malfunctioning, that scares me.

Jessica opens her purse and searches for the key. "Aha!" and she pulls out her car keys. There on a keychain with two other keys and a magenta miniature  heart. She jingles them in front of my face and says, "Ok David, don't scratch up my car. Even though I have another." I grab them while asking, "You have ANOTHER car?! How rich are your parents?"

"Rich enough to afford two cars, now can we go?" "Ok, sheeesh." I push the key into the ignition, and turn. The engine comes to life. "You Ok David, you look worried." Jessica says. "What?! Me, scared?! Noooo." She places her hand on my shoulder, I turn my head to see her. "You are one of the smartest,, most beautiful, handsome and reassuring person I know. You can drive a car." Jessica reassures me. I'm blushing by this point because of all the compliments. I nod yes, and shift into Drive. I press my foot on the gas and we start moving. I steer us out of the parking lot, and into the road.

It's quiet for a while because I'm focusing on driving. Jessica breaks it by asking, "I didn't know you were fifteen? When were you born?" "February 12, 2000. Why are you surprised?" I ask. She answers, "I thought you were sixteen. You look sixteen, act maturer than fifteen, and you're pretty tall." "I'm only 5'11. Not too tall. There's people in our school that are like 7 feet tall!" I exaggerate. I slow the car down at a red stop light. "Well that's still taller than me; I'm only 5'5." "Maybe you just need to grow." I comment. "HEY! It's not like I can force myself to grow!" She complains/yells. The light flashes to green and I press the gas again. Before we're even out of the intersection, I hear a speeding car in the distance. Jessica yells, "FLOOR IT!!!" I slam my foot on the pedal. Suddenly the car spins sideways and before I can gain control of the monster, we slam into a tree. Black ...