Chapter 15: We Need to Talk

It's Monday, 'The Best Day of The Week!' And here I am waking up back in a hospital by the doctors. "David, wake up." Dr. Mini said. It's kind of funny because this doctor isn't small or frail. More like muscular and tall. "Yeah." I mumble. "After you wake up, you may leave the hospital. Your parents should be here soon to pick you up." He tells me. "Wait What?! I can leave today?! But I thought you need to stay in the hospital for a month or something?"

Dr. Mini hits himself in the head with his clipboard. "You read too many novels kid. Ok, I'll be back when your parents return. See ya later." He starts writing something down on his clipboard while walking out. I let out a breath. I guess I can believe him; I don't feel terrible like I did the day I woke up. I feel incredibly better. Guess he's right, I should go.

-----------------------------------------------------

I arrive home with a difference. I have my left arm in a sling, but other than that I'm fine. It feels good to go back home, lay on MY bed, and just be home. I walk back out into our living room and see my parents are unpacking some stuff. "Since I'm released from the hospital, is Jessica able to leave too?"

My parents stop in there tracks. Hands frozen in time, like my words froze them. They set down the snacks they were putting up and both turn to me. "David, we need to talk." Mom said slowly. Uh-oh. My parents and I walk into our living room and take seats on the couches, I sit on the one to the right by myself. The conversation begins with, "So why isn't Jessica able to leave?" My Dad starts talking, "David, since you and Jessica crashed, you and her were injured. Jessica's injuries were ... worst than they thought. Her parents told us her right hand was deformed by the fire .... and well ..." He stopped.

"And well what?!" I really hope he doesn't say what I think he's going to say. "They're going to get rid of her hand David. It's useless to her now." Mom finishes. No ... but Jessica's right handed . It can't ... "But I saw her hands the time we were working together. They didn't look deformed then!" I excuse, my vision getting blurred. "David, it's the inside that's the problem. Deformed bones, nerves not functioning correctly in that hand, if they didn't, she'd just struggle through life more." Mom says. "But ..." But nothing David, she can't write at all, her hand was always hurting, and you caused it. You crashed her car, you passed out leaving her to save you. I caused this.

I jump off the sofa and run through our house into my room. "DAVID WAIT!!!" I hear my parents call. The moment it shut, I locked the door. From the other side I hear my mom ask, "David, can you open the door? Please?!" I don't respond to the voice behind the door. I lay down on my bed and pull the covers over my head.

I don't open the door for the rest of the day, not for the restroom, not for food. I just lay in my room, weeping about what I caused.