Chapter-39

Grace's vein had stitches on it and now it's broken again and now she was losing blood. Her blood pressure was going down, her pulse was going down.
Meg observed that immediately and ran to call the doctors. The doctors immediately came in and took her to the OT(operation theatre).
They gave her anesthesia and this time made sure that her vein won't tear again.  They stitched her skin and after a while she was put in ICU under life support system. 
Mark was with Meg and held her close to comfort her as she was crying. 

After 2 days...
Zac got discharged from hospital as he was almost healed.
He was taken from his room to the lobby in a wheelchair. The warden is supposed to take Zac from lift 1, but it was out of order. So,he had to go to lift 2 which was on the other side of hallway.  they have to go past ICU room to get there.
Just when Zac was nearing the ICU he felt his heart getting heavy and he felt as if he needed to go inside the ICU room to see someone. 
He peeked through the glass as he saw quickly a brown haired woman on life support.she was the only one in the ICU.
"God bless you!" said Zac looking at her and neared the lift.

Grace heart suddenly felt heavier even though she was in semi conscious state. She had flashes of how she met zac and how he pleaded her to save him.how he kissed her that night on the lake road and how he gave her a bracelet expressing his love to her for the first time, how he took care of her in the island and finally how he Screamed "BUT I PROMISED TO PROTECT YOU ". To that she suddenly opened her eyes screaming "ZAC!" out loud. Her back hurt and she just lied there lifeless and crying.  She wanted to see Zac. She wanted to make sure he was okay. She wanted to say sorry to him. She ripped off her IV and tried waking up from the bed but of no use. Her wounds were still fresh and needed more time to heal. Meg came inside ICU to check upon Grace. 
"Grace... How are you feeling? " asked Meg.
"Horrible! " says Grace leaving tears..
"Why dear? Is the wound still hurting you? " asks Meg.
"I wanna see Zac" says Grace.
"Grace... Zac is....Z-Zac..." Meg just didn't know what to say which obviously sent the wrong idea to Grace.
"Nothing happened to my Zac. No he's not... " says Grace crying feeling her heart break.
"No no no...He's fine.He's healed. He's good.....He's just not here...he got discharged this morning. " says Meg.
"Oh!" says Grace wiping her tears.
"He needs rest. Did he say he'llcome back to see me?" asked Grace intently.
Each word that came out of Grace's mouth broke Meg's heart. Every second passed by was making it harder to tell Grace that the Zac she loves so much and the Zac who loved her most once doesn't even remember her anymore.
"Well...He's really tired" says Meg,she lied.
"Oh...okay.yeah....he should sleep. He needs rest" says Grace trying to convince herself. 
It broke Meg's heart to lie to Grace. 
Mark came inside the room with a nurse.
"they're shifting her to the private room" says Mark.
"Okay" says Meg quietly.
The nurse helps Grace get on the stretcher and take her to the room.

Room 143 was allotted to Grace.
"Hey,look this is the same room that Zac was taken to back then" says Grace sweetly pointing at the door.
Meg swallows a huge lump and it saddens Mark to see Grace hoping for Zac. Meg and Mark stood outside the door while the nurse helped Grace to switch bed.
"We need to tell her" says Mark.
"I can't do it. She can't take it." says Meg.
"I know she's alive because she wanted to see Zac.that's what keeps her going and breathing.  But we can't keep her in dark for long" says Mark.
"Guys,can you call Zac I really want to talk to him. " interrupted Grace.
"He's in shooting, Grace. You can talk to him later" says Meg.
"Now, Meg! Tell her now! The sooner, the less damage! " says Mark.
"you're right! " says Meg agreeing.
She took a deep breath and walked inside the room. Grace was on the bed, rested. The nurse just left.
"Grace, I need to tell you something about zac" says Meg firmly.
"What is it? Is he okay? " asks Grace frowned.
"He lost his memory. He doesn't remember you anymore " says Meg cursing herself mentally for saying those words.
Grace wasn't convinced.
"You're kidding, right? " asks Grace.
"No...he had a certain memory loss that only makes a person lose certain series of memories because of stress or other reasons " says Mark.
"other reasons? " asks Grace
"Drug abuse,getting hit on the wrong side of head" says Mark.
"So,he doesn't remember me," asks Grace her voice breaking, her heart shattering. 
"I'm sorry, Grace " says Meg. 
Grace doesn't say anything.  She just closes her eyes for a moment as her tears roll by her cheek. She opens her eyes again. Mark and Meg look at each other.

"I'm not going to stop loving him" says Grace her voice breaking and shaking.