Chapter-65

Grace was admitted in the ICU.  She was heavily hit on the head because of the crash. She was on IV.  She was unconscious.  She was being taken to the operation theatre. 

Zac comes into the hospital with force.  People froze at his act and the look on his face. 
He went to the front desk and asked for details of an emergency admission.

The girl who brought Grace to the hospital was behind Zac.
"Are you related to that girl uh...Grace ? " asked the woman. 
Zac turned around and faced her. 
"Yes..and you are?" asked Zac looking at her.
"I'm Bella,you're Zac if I'm not wrong? " she replied
"Yeah... Did you bring Grace here? " asked Zac
"Yes... Her car was crashed by a truck that was going in the opposite lane " explained Bella. 

Zac froze at the details. He couldn't even breathe.  His palms started to sweat.

"I need to see her... Now " asked Zac.

"I know where she is..." said Bella showing the way to Zac.

She took him to the floor where Grace was being put on another stretcher to take her to the O.T.

As they reached the floor, Zac saw that Grace was on stretcher. She was unconscious.Her body was covered with blanket. Her hand hung loose beside her. The needle numbed her skin and her skin was going blue. 

As soon as he saw her,he forgot who he was with. 

Bella tried to ease with him but could not do so.

He was about to ask the nurse and the doctors what happened but he couldn't speak. His voice died.  He felt numb.

Her head had signs of blood here and there but were being cleant repeatedly by the nurse.

Her hand was going blue as the IV started to stretch and stopped the flow of liquid. 

Zac walked towards her. He could hear his heart beating.  Beating is an understatement. His heart was exploding.  He couldn't handle seeing her like that. As soon as he reached near her, Grace's hand hung loose beside her, almost touching Zac's finger tips. 
He immediately held her hand and looked at her. 

It was as if, subconsciously,she wanted to hold him closer because she was scared of what was happening to her. 

Zac swallowed a huge lump which was aching in his throat. His eyes filled with tears. 

"Everything will be okay, baby.  I promise " said Zac. 

He kissed her palm.

  Her body Jerked all of a sudden.  Her pulse falling down, as the monitor was beeping even slowly. 

The nurse pushed the stretcher towards O.T.  The doctors followed Grace's stretcher into the theatre.

Zac held her hand, he didn't leave her hand.  But soon the nurse requested him to let go.

He looked at Grace who was lying there unconscious. He rubbed his thumb against her wrist.  I Love You  whispered Zac. 

He let go of her hand but her fingers still held onto his. 
He had to now put a little pressure onto his hand to let go,with a great difficulty. she didn't want to let go but soon the stretcher was pushed into the OT, her fingers lying in the air, waiting for him to hold her again. 

He looked at her and couldn't breathe.

Zac was broken.  Tears made their way out of his eyes. 
Just then Grace's parents and Zac's parents came to the hospital.  They rushed towards where Zac was standing. 

"What happened to Grace ? " asked Grace's dad.
Zac didn't answer. He couldn't even think or form words. 

"She was in a car crash and I brought her here " said Bella walking towards them.

Everyone looked at her. 

"What exactly happened? " demanded Zac's mom.

"Her car was hit by a truck.  So,her car crashed.  I soon asked for help and brought her here" said Bella apologetically.

"and what did the doctors say?' asked Grace's mom.

"they said that she fractured her ribs, her arm and she lost a lot of blood.  She's unconscious as she was hit hard on the head because of... The crash " explained Bella. 

They all listened to Bella with horrified expressions.  They just couldn't believe this was happening to Grace. 

"On the day of her wedding... This is just not right " said Zac's dad.

Bella was surprised.

"Wedding? " asked Bella.
"You mean, she got hit on the... Day of her we-....oh my god!  I'm so sorry " cried Bella getting tensed. 

She didn't really expect that.

None of them did. 

Zac looked at the phone and called Mark and Meg to inform them about Grace's condition.

They both soon rushed to the hospital.

After two hours of waiting in the hospital, Zac's parents and Grace's parents were praying that Grace should come out of the room smiling.

Zac faced down looking at the ground. He supported his elbows on his thighs and leaned in the chair as he sat. 

He took his phone and looked at the last message Grace sent him.

*"Grace: I love you with all my heart. Can't wait to get married to you tomorrow <3"*

As he read the message, his heart broke into a million little pieces.  his tears fell on the phone screen.

The doctors soon came out of the O.T. Removing their gloves they were walking towards Zac. 

"Her heart rate gave up before we could even start the operation. She couldn't make it. We've tried everything to save her.... We're sorry. " explained the doctor. 

Meg held Mark's hand in horror as she heard the words coming out of doctor's mouth.

"She can't die" whispered Mark looking at Zac with tension.

Zac rushed inside the O.T and walked towards Grace. He saw her lying there lifeless. 

He fell on his knees unable to see her dead.

He cried out loud.

He held her hand delicately. He looked at her calm face.  No moment in her body. She was not breathing. She left him.

Everything went blank.  He felt too weak to even handle it.

Zac didn't even move as he saw her.  He too died.  Inside.