Underground

Y/n's POV

Thankfully, the hatch above us closed automatically, but it was now completely dark. Overhead, the marble floor shuddered, probably a result of the eidolons trying to get in. I could hear Frank wheezing nearby, which meant he had turned back into a human, and Leo was right behind me, so all we needed to do was find Hazel.

"What now?" Frank asked.

"Don't freak," Leo advised him. "I'm gonna summon a little fire so that we can see." Within a second, a fire the size of the tip a birthday candle blazed to life on his finger, illuminating the dark space. From there on, we walked in single file down the tunnel in search of Hazel. We found her a couple hundred feet ahead so engrossed in a door that she didn't notice us until we were right behind her. "Hey!"

Hazel yelped and turned around, her hand clutching the hilt of her spatha. "What are you guys doing here?"

"We ran into some angry tourists. Eidolons, to be more specific," I clarify.

"But Piper made them promise to stay away," Hazel recalled.

"Well," Frank started. "They only promised they would stay away from the ship and not posses any of us. Nothing was said about them using other bodies to attack us. So technically, they're not breaking the rules.

"Great," Leo grumbled. "Now they're lawyers. I really want to kill those things."

"Onto more important business, this door is locked," Hazel shared. "Leo, do you think you could open it?"

"Sure," Leo replied. "Let the master handle it. Whoa. These letters are Greek."

"Lots of Romans spoke Greek," Hazel pointed out.

"I guess, but this workmanship, no offense to you Camp Jupiter types, is too complicated to be Roman," Leo stated.

"Whereas you Greeks just love making things complicated," Frank retorted.

"Hey!" Leo protested. "All I'm saying is this machinery is delicate and sophisticated. It's a more advanced sort of lock. You line up the symbols on the different rings in the right order, and that opens the door."

"But what's the right order?" Hazel pushed.

"Good question. Greek spheres, astronomy, geometry..." Leo trailed off. "Oh. I wonder...What's the value of pi?"

Frank frowned. "What kind of pie?"

"He means the number," I tell Frank. "It's been awhile since I've seen it, but I'm pretty sure it's 3.141592653589793." All three of my friends just stared at me, and if we were in a cartoon, their jaws would have hit the floor. "What?"

"How do you know all that?" Hazel questioned.

"I hang out with the Athena kids quite a bit back at Camp," I confess. "But enough about me. What happens if this isn't the right combination?"

"We could fall down and die," Leo answered. "Lets find out!" Leo fidgeted with the sphere for a second, but it wasn't long before the lock clicked, and the door swung open. "That, demigods, is how we do things in Leo World. Come on in!"

The room was about the size of the forges at Camp Half Blood with worktables lining the walls, all filled with tons of scrap metal. Around the room, basketball sized objects sat in various stages of development, and a bunch of loose gears and wires littered the floor. There was also a row of cubbyholes, each filled with scroll cases.

"Wow," I breathe out. "This is impressive."

"Yeah," Leo agreed. "I've heard legends that the Romans confiscated the writings of Archimedes but-"